Unknown Error Occured --- unable to play The Sims 3 Supernatural (Mac)

by ninjahmoves

Original Post

Unknown Error Occured --- unable to play The Sims 3 Supernatural (Mac)

★★★ Newbie

Okay, so I just got the DVD discs of The Sims 3 Base Game and The Sims 3 Supernatural. I installed first the base game and it was successful. I tried to run the game and it worked but I didn't play or save any game yet as I wanted to start with Supernatural installed already. And I didn't update the game yet so my base game version is still 1.0.63. So then I proceeded to install Supernatural and installation was successful. But when I tried to play it, it wouldn't even get me to the launcher, just on the blue window with the plumbob and a small window saying "Unknown Error Occurred". I checked the log and it said this:

11/19/12 5:11:40 AMtgInstall[1456]getSHA1checksum: failed to open file /Applications/The Sims 3.localized/The Sims3.app/Contents/Resources/transgaming/c_drive/Program Files/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/Game/Bin/TS3W.exe

So I don't know what's wrong, why is it showing that? And I have done the whole clean uninstall/install, deleted the .transgaming files, ipatcher files, etc.. on the preferences folder, deleted the preferences folder, as I have read on the forums, I even tried installing the game on a new user account and still I encounter the same problem when I try to play Supernatural. The base game works fine but whenever I install an expansion pack, the game won't run and I am completely unable to play. This is really frustrating because I really just want to play Supernatural, that's the reason why I purchased them. Can anyone please help me? How do you fix this "Unknown Error Occurred" issue? Please! 

BTW, I have

MacBook white 

OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Processor Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz

2GB RAM

Intel GMA X3100

If anybody could please enlighten me as to what the problem is I would very much appreciate it!

Message 1 of 4 (5,551 Views)

Re: Unknown Error Occured --- unable to play The Sims 3 Supernatural (Mac)

Community Manager

Hi ninjahmoves,

You are not the only one having this issue. You can find some helpful troubleshooting steps here:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/105/132714.page

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 2 of 4 (5,466 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Okay, I have already fixed this after numerous install/uninstall attempts.... The problem was since my retail copy of the base game was still version 1.0.63, basically the game is still not programmed to handle any expansion packs ( hence, the unkown error occured message after EP was installed )..

So I updated the game via the launcher ( and this was not easy too... numerous attempts before i got to update it as well ) and once it was patched to version 1.22 (generations super patcher i believe) I then installed Supernatural... again, this did not work a my first attempt as I was now receiving the "Exeption raised" error... Then I noticed that even though it says in the launcher that my game version is patched (15.00... something), the Supernatural icon was not showing at the bottom left part (where the icons of games installed shows)...

Again, I did a trial and error uninstall/reinstall, even tried updating it first but I couldn't get the download to finish, I once again tried to install Supernatural after patching my base game to 1.22 and lo and behold, all of a sudden, I'm seeing the icon in the launcher and clicked play and it has worked like a charm eversince. Confusedmileyvery-happy:

So i don't exactly know what i did for it to just suddenly work, but I'm glad it did... So for anyone who has the same problem, maybe this could help. And one thing, be patient... I spent 5 days ( no kidding!) just to get it running...

Message 3 of 4 (5,350 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Please explain what you did step by step! I have the exact same problem! It started with my show time expansion pack then i uninstalled everything (i have every one of the 10 expansion packs) and i installed each one and updated every time and only 5 expansion packs seem to work. My other expansion packs are installed on my computer but it says on the launcher the expansion packs aren't colored so it means its not in my game but the expansions are installed on my computer. I have a Mac. Please, this has been happening to be for 3 days. 

Message 4 of 4 (3,501 Views)