Re: Tips to help lag?

by roberta591

Original Post

Tips to help lag?

★★★★ Novice

Hey,

I have a top notch computer, 

but struggle to play The Sims 3 without lag.. Currently doing a legacy challenge, on a medium sized map. I have a bunch of nrAAS mods installed, but other than that, very few mods or CC. I clean my caches often, and I have increased RAM usage by The Sims 3 to see if it would help, while I also use a program to clean up my saves.

I still only go one or two sim minutes forward per second playing on max speed, and my attempt to play on high settings just resulted in the game lagging up like crazy. So currently i play on medium settings, and a small resolution in order to try to combat the lag, but even that doesn't help. It's like The Sims 3 isn't made to be played games running for a long time!
Any suggestions on how to speed it up?
Any ideas would be lovely, I really wanna make this work..

Processor
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080

RAM
16 GB

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 10 (build 15063), 64-bit
Message 1 of 2 (269 Views)

Re: Tips to help lag?

Hero (Retired)

@Cucumberwaxing Is the video chip identified properly by the game. Link for how to ass video chip to Sims 3 - link - Adding unrecognized video chip to Sims 3  It seems high end computer have issues with this games and this can be caused by various configuration. Multiple monitors put a strain on the video system, using triple buffering with anti aliasing (this requires a lot of video power), the higher the resolution the harder the video system has to work, multiple programs running in the background with the game - these are some of the things that affect performance. There are other things that need to be taken into consideration  like the memory speed, the performance of the motherboard - you can have a fast cpu but if you have slow memory that effects the whole system performance. Increasing the memory use has been activated in the patches. The game is a 32 bit application and can only access 4Gb of memory (actually less). It is only until recently that games have needed more 4GB and the only way to do this was a 64 bit operating system. Most compilers only use 2Gb of memory due to the way memory is paged before paging code to virtual memory (storage device). If the game is doing a lot of paging this can hurt performance and the speed of the storage device needs to be a consideration. Unfortunately there is no one answer to this issue. I'm guessing there is a bottle neck usually in the video system. If the video chip is not properly configured by the game is a good place to start looking.

Message 2 of 2 (262 Views)