Re: This product requires an installed copy of The Sims 3

by crinrict

Original Post

This product requires an installed copy of The Sims 3

★★★ Newbie

Whenever I try to install any expansions I get this error "This product requires an installed copy of The Sims 3. Please install the Sims 3 before installing this product."

I already have The Sims 3 base game installed, so I don't understand why this is happening. I've already uninstalled it and re installed it a couple of times, and I still get the same error. I don't know what else to do to fix this.

Message 1 of 5 (3,436 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Where did you get your base game? Is your base game Steam? Steam version does not work with the Origin version.

Message 2 of 5 (3,390 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having this same problem. I bought my Sims 3 and the Expansion packs from Walmart and they worked just fine. I recently got a new computer specifically to play Sims and now I can't install any of the Expansions from the discs as I keep getting that same message. Out of "Dragon Valley", "Pets", "Supernatural", "High-End Loft", "Town Life", "Ambitions", "Generations", and "Late Night" I am only able to install the Base game and "High-End Loft". If anyone has any solutions please let me know because this is one of the only games I like and it's a waste of money if I can no longer enjoy it to the fullest.

Message 3 of 5 (2,262 Views)
Highlighted

Hero

What's your operating system ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 5 (2,256 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I'm also having this problem. I just bought a new computer as well, running 64 bit Windows 8. I've bought the base game, (almost?) all expansions, a few of the stuff packs all on dvd. I've uninstalled and reinstalled twice already, even tried 'Run as Administrator', all to no avail. 

*edit* After the first attempt at installing, I'd gotten up to Ambitions, and ran it just to test and see if it works on this computer. It did, but this problem started upon trying to install Late Night. Now it won't go past base game.

Message 5 of 5 (2,041 Views)