Re: The Sims 3 seasons won't install/launch.

by caspinwall

Original Post

The Sims 3 seasons won't install/launch.

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

<deleted>

Message 1 of 5 (6,404 Views)

Hero

Looks like you're on a mac, is that correct ?

I'll forward to our mac helper.

I did have to remove the link to one of your pics cause the product code was showing on that. I would remove that picture from tinypic so no one can misuse it.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 5 (6,363 Views)
Highlighted

Champion (Retired)

Hi,

Firstly, it makes sense that the game would try to launch from University rather than from Seasons, because University was released more recently - the game launches from the most recently released expansion that is installed, regardless of the order in which you bought or downloaded them. However the fact that the Seasons icon on the Launcher is still greyed-out rather than coloured suggests that Season hasn't actually installed properly.

Sometimes the download or installation fails when you use Origin. This can be for a variety of factors, including your internet connection dropping out during the download. Sometimes this can result in an awkward situation in which Origin acts as though the game is installed correctly. This means you can’t play the game, but nor will Origin let you re-download it. You cannot easily “uninstall” the game, because of course it isn’t there. I think this may be what has happened to your Seasons.

First thing to do is to go into Applications on your Mac and look in the folder called “The Sims 3”. This is the location from which your game actually launches (as opposed to a similarly named folder within Documents, which is where your saves and other data are stored). In the folder in Applications you will see the shortcut icons for the base game as well as any expansions or stuff packs installed. If you can see the icon for the game that has failed to properly download from Origin, try right clicking on it and this should give you the option to show the original file. You can move the original files to the trash from there. This may allow you to commence a re-download from Origin. (Many thanks go to Tremayne from TS3 Mac forum for this suggestion.)

If this does not work, or if the icon is missing from the “The Sims 3” folder in Applications, then you may need to completely uninstall and reinstall.

If a completely fresh start is needed, be sure to cleanly uninstall everything first. When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac. You want to reach patch level 1.63. The manual patches for Mac can be located on this page: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/549552.page

At this point, check that your game works properly. Installing EPs can be time-consuming so make sure the base game is patched and working right before you go further. If you have Time Machine for your Mac, I would make a backup at this point just in case something goes wrong, so you don't have to keep repeating the base game installation and patch.

Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date, which is as follows.

TS3 (base game)
World Adventures - EP
High End Loft - SP
Ambitions - EP
Fast Lane - SP
Late Night - EP
Outdoor Living - SP
Generations - EP
Town Life - SP
Pets - EP
Master Suite - SP
Showtime - EP
Katy Perry's Sweet Treats - SP
Diesel - SP
Supernatural - EP
Seasons - EP
70s, 80s, 90s - SP
University - EP
Island Paradise - EP
Movie Stuff - SP
Into the Future- EP

Let us know how you get on and good luck!

Caspin

Message 3 of 5 (6,357 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Pains me to post in a "MAC" related thread "shudder" but I'm having the exact same problem. Just ininstalled everything and resintalled. It dlds, then when I hit install it does absolutely nothing. 

Message 4 of 5 (6,084 Views)

Hero

Please make your own thread if you're not on a mac.

Make sure to post as much info as possible.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 5 (6,073 Views)