The Sims 3 on Windows 8.

by waRse

Original Post

The Sims 3 on Windows 8.

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have been trying to get TS3 to work on my system that is using windows 8 pro and it simply wont work.

The launcher works as it should and i can patch it to the latest version without problems, but whenver i press play the computer thinks for a minute and then nothing happens no errors or anything.

And when i look at the task manager when i start the game i can see that the TS3W and TS3 tasks just closes.

I also noticed that conhost.exe closes in the same way.

I have also tried running the game using compatibility mode set to both XP and 7 and have tried both with and without Expansions.

These are my Specs:

Geforce GTX 570

8GB of RAM

AMD phenom ii X6 1100t

Let me know if you need more info.

Message 1 of 24 (11,927 Views)

Re: The Sims 3 on Windows 8.

Hero

Do you have any mods in that game ?

Can you start the game by bypassing the launcher and start directly from ts3w.exe ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 24 (11,872 Views)

★★★ Novice

This was done using a freshly installed Windows 8 with all the Frameworks, drivers and Redists updated.

No i do not have any mods installed and i can not start the game by bypassing the launcher.

Message 3 of 24 (11,870 Views)

Hero

Just to be sure that you are really patched

What is your base game version right now ?

To find out, open your launcher and hover over the little base game icon in the lower left part of the launcher. It should say 1.42.

I don't know too much about Win 8 yet. I've tried it on a test machine and had no trouble starting the game. Maybe another regular Win 8 user has some more insight on this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 24 (11,867 Views)

★★★ Novice

Currently i have only the Base game installed and it says 1.42 in the launcher buti have tried it with expansions as well.

I should probably let you know that the game did work without problems on the Windows 8 Release Preveiw.

Message 5 of 24 (11,865 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Now that makes me wonder if it's a Windows 8 issue at all.

Are you using download or disc version ?

Did you install anything at all to your launcher ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 24 (11,857 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I downloaded the game using Origin, nothing has been touched after the installation of the game except from the patch.

Lot's of things could have been changed since the preview version of win8 so it could very well be a problem within the OS itself.

Message 7 of 24 (11,854 Views)

Hero

But it workes for me and many others :womanfrustrated:

I can't think of anything else atm (but it's late here anyways).

Maybe check the tech forum on thesims3.com or even post in the MTS help section for advice.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 24 (11,848 Views)

★★★ Novice

Dont worry it's late here as well Wink

I know only a small number of ppl has been having these problems with the game, i will try downgrading my nvidia drivers and se if that makes a change but i doubt it :P

Message 9 of 24 (11,846 Views)

★★★ Novice

Downgrading my graphics driver did nothing Frown

But i think i have found out what file is causing problems, the TS3.exe file that is in the Bin\Packs\TS3 folder crashes as soon as i open it "it opens a CMD windows first" and i used process explorer to se what TS3W.exe does when it's runned and it seems to rely on that file in some way.

Message 10 of 24 (11,841 Views)