Re: The Sims 3 Keeps Minimizing!

by romkind

Original Post

Accepted Solution

The Sims 3 Keeps Minimizing!

★ Guide

I installed The Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, and Pets onto my Asus laptop last night. I went to play it and after a couple minutes it minimized into my task bar. So I clicked on the icon and it reopened where I left off, well it wont stop doing this making it almost impossible to play the game and is extremely annoying! Before I installed the games I made sure my laptop had all the right requirements. I was able to see in the create a sim  that my pets aren't distorted like they are on my desktop computer! I don't have any other games downloaded on my laptop. I just really want to play! Can someone please help!!!???

Message 1 of 37 (21,027 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

I've been having this issue and killing myself trying to fix it!

I FINALLY FIXED IT!

I noticed that the full screen resolution that it was setting my game to was way off. When I changed the resolution in the game it stopped minimizing itself. Here is how to fix it and keep it fixed!

Right click on your desktop-> Screen Resolution -> write down recommended (mine is 1920x1200)

Then go to My Documents/Electronic Arts/ The Sims 3
Open the Options.ini file
search for Resolution
(it should have 3 numbers after it separated by spaces)

change the first number to the first number of your recommended resolution
and the second number to the second recommended resolution and leave the third number alone

EX: resolution = 1920 1200 60 (that's mine)

Save it, restart the sims

Hopefully you will be playing in no time!

View in thread

Message 11 of 37 (40,956 Views)

All Replies

Hero

What happens if you play in windowed mode (for troubleshooting purposes). Does it also minimize ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 37 (20,936 Views)

★★ Novice

I am having this problem too. The game runs fine in windowed mode, but when I go into options and switch to fullscreen, it minimizes again. I don't know why this is happening. It wasn't that long ago when the game ran fine in fullscreen mode. I'd like to know why it's doing this so I can fix it. I really don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall everything.

Message 3 of 37 (20,900 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Newbie

Hi there,

same problem.

How can i run windowed mode if i cant open the game.

Its downloaded version.

Rom

Message 4 of 37 (20,806 Views)

Hero

You can change that in the options file.

Go to documents\electronicarts\thesims3 and find called options(.ini). Open that with a text editor and search for windowed mode. If there's a 1 now, change it to 0 or the other way round.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 5 of 37 (20,801 Views)

★★ Novice

@zombie0000 wrote:

I am having this problem too. The game runs fine in windowed mode, but when I go into options and switch to fullscreen, it minimizes again. I don't know why this is happening. It wasn't that long ago when the game ran fine in fullscreen mode. I'd like to know why it's doing this so I can fix it. I really don't want to have to uninstall and reinstall everything.

I have the exact same problem. I had no problem until about a week ago. Is there something to do to fix it?

Message 6 of 37 (20,291 Views)

Hero

Did you change anything a week ago ? Could there be a program interfering in the back ground ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 37 (20,285 Views)

★★ Novice

nope. i don't like running anything when i'm on sims. it's a pet peeve. lol

Message 8 of 37 (20,279 Views)

Hero

What's your operating system ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 37 (20,276 Views)

★★ Novice

my system is windows 8. i bought this computer brand new. this minimizing thing didn't start happening until i updated the game to the newest version. 

Message 10 of 37 (20,240 Views)