Sims 3 won't open from Origin.

by Spikasaur

Original Post

Sims 3 won't open from Origin.

★★★ Novice

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting Sims 3 to run after launcher, from the Origin installation. I'm a little concerned as I have a fair bit of money invested in Sims games and I generally like to play the games I pay for. I don't get any error messages at all. The launcher simply runs in the taskbar and that's it. I'm faced with my desktop indefinitely. 

I've followed the very small help section, here - https://help.ea.com/uk/article/game-wont-launch-from-origin to find that following either of those steps, or even together, doesn't work. My PC specs are way above average with all the correct and latest patches/updates. Even the latest DirectX. I'm wondering if there is anything else I could do, or get help with to make these games run.

I'm sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks,

Mike

Message 1 of 30 (68,424 Views)

Re: Sims 3 won't open from Origin.

[ Edited ]
Hero

Try bypassing the launcher as described here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps/td-p/714/

This is just for testing purposes to see if the game itself works.

What is your operating system ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 30 (68,225 Views)

★★★ Novice

Bypassing the launcher isn't working either. Also, I don't know if this adds to anything but the Sims games aren't in C\Program Files x86\Electronic Arts. They're all in C\Program Files x86\Origin Games ... Would that make a difference? I didn't install them there so they must have defaulted.

My OS is Windows 8. But that shouldn't be a problem as I used to run The Sims 3 on here a couple of weeks ago just fine. But then the PC was reformatted. I followed exactly the same process this time as I did before (download Origin > download game > install), so it shouldn't be different now. Should it?

Message 3 of 30 (68,221 Views)

Hero

If you have the download version, then the Origin path is correct, so no worries there.

---

Do you get the same symptoms with the game ? Does it not maximize when you click on it on the task manager ? Do yo have bitDefender or any other security programs installed that you didn't before ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 30 (68,216 Views)

★★★ Novice

As long's that's right...

Nope. Before it used to run just perfectly. I'd open the launcher, do whatever updates then just click play and the game would full screen itself. 

I do have BitDefender but that's no different. And even with BitDefender disabled or in game mode, it won't run. I'm thinking of reformatting the PC again now. :/

Message 5 of 30 (68,211 Views)

★★★ Novice

PS, after clicking the big play button from Sims 3 Launcher, the laucher closes, not minimises to the tray. And when I check the task manager, no Sims things are running.

Message 6 of 30 (68,210 Views)

Hero

Try uninstalling BitDefender. There's a known conflict on Windows 8 and the game and sims 3. I think turning it off doesn't help, you need to uninstall (you can always reinstall if that's not it and it's less work then reformatting the computer or reinstalling the game.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 30 (68,205 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Mines doing exactly the same. Only I'm on Mac. Had no problems in the past. But now just closes when I click play.

Gutted I didn't wait to just go buy it from the shops Confusedmileysad:

Message 8 of 30 (66,612 Views)

Hero

For Mac:

Here's a few trouble shooting steps: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Links-to-Mac-help-threads-and-guides/m-p/749664#U749664

If those don't help, I would suggest posting in the mac forum at thesims3.com (make sure your language is set to US): http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/forums/show/205.page since macs are not well covered on the AnswerHQ.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 30 (66,597 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I got it to work by running Origin as administrator (Right click Origin icon > Run as admin).  Then ran the game from Origin.

Message 10 of 30 (66,237 Views)