Sims 3 without Origin, but with expansions?

by mandycarolina

Original Post

Sims 3 without Origin, but with expansions?

★★★★★ Novice

Hi there!

I have a quite complicated question, but I do hope someone has an answer for me.

I own the Sims 3 with multiple expansions, but I didn't want to use the CD's all the time, I made them into files onto my hard drive so I can play them whenever wherever I want. Now, I do not own every single expansion pack, since I can't find them on that hard drive. But I can buy them in Origin.

Now I know that I can insert non-Origin games (which it basically is, since it is a file on my laptop) into the library. But if I insert the base game with all my other expansions, can I buy another expansion in Origin so I can play it in my 'so called' downloaded base game of the TS3? Will it recognize it? Because it would suck if I have to buy the base game again because I did that a long time ago already Frown

I hope someone can help me !

Message 1 of 2 (160 Views)

Re: Sims 3 without Origin, but with expansions?

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@mandycarolina  This is going to be a complicated answer. I'm assuming you are using an ISO image to fool the DRM that you had a disc in the drive which violates the EULA you agreed to when you started the game. This is all irrelevant now. When the game was released the DRM was SecuROM and SafeDisc. Enter Windows 10 and El Capitan that no longer support SecuROM and SafeDisc (this is the short story). Since 2012 new sims 3 installations require the DRM will be Origin. When you redeem the code in Origin (activating the game) and if the base game is at version 1.67, Origin will patch the game to version 1.69. This patch will remove/deactivate SecuROM and SafeDisc. You no longer have an install limit as Origin is the DRM and only one device can have Origin open at a time. So you can install the game on as many computers as you want. Once the game is activated in Origin the game will be accessible in Origin much like Steam. As SafeDisc no longer is active you do not need a disc in the optical drive to play the game. The dvd discs are generic. As the optical drive is starting to disappear, optical media for distribution may slowing go away. Windows 7 is on extended support. Windows 8 is garbage and driver support for Windows 8 is not as good as it should be and Windows 8.1 main support ends in 2018. That leaves you Windows 10 - hey no more service packs just very large updates (what can I say). The code that comes with the disc or if you buy the digital download version is what it should be - an activation code. Once you activate (redeem) the game the code you used is locked to the Origin account in use at the time you use the code. Then use the codes you got with the packs and activate (redeem) the packs in Origin and you can get the digital download versions. If you use the discs to install there is more patching you need to do for reasons noted above. This is the simple version that explains why Origin is the new DRM. I don't think you can use the digital downloads from Origin with a base game that has not been activated in Origin. It is to the point that your game will continue to run as is until you want add packs and store items. To play the disc version you could run the game in Windows 7 or Windows 8 but support for these is starting to wane. I have fought the system in the past and have come to know the system always wins (the 900 pound gorilla syndrome).  See I told you it was complicated.

Message 2 of 2 (150 Views)