Sims 3 expansion packs bought through origin are not working!!

by abbieski

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Sims 3 expansion packs bought through origin are not working!!

★★ Novice

I'm having issues with new expansion packs not working.  I just purchased two expansion packs through origin.  Neither are working.  I downloaded it via the internet, not a disc.  I open origin and clicked Sims 3, and it shows my old expansion packs, lit up, the ones that I have a disc for.  The new games are grey, but they say NEW, unlike the other games I didn't buy.  I click on it, it says download, then says installed! I open the game launcher and look to see if the expansion packs are now there with the others, they are not.  It says it downloads, but then doesn't light on origin (it's still grey) and then the game launcher acts like they aren't there.  I've clicked install packs... nothing.

I have a PC, not mac.

Can someone please help me? I know I am not the only one with these problems so I am really hoping to be able to get some help.

Message 1 of 8 (708 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Sims 3 expansion packs bought through origin are not working!!

★★ Novice

@EA_Kristi wrote:

@abbieski Sorry to hear that this didn't help!

Would you be willing to completely uninstall Sims 3 and the expansions? You can make a copy of your games saves (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves) folder so you won't lose progress. 

If you are willing to uninstall and re-download everything, try uninstalling using Origin (right click the expansions and the base game tile and select 'Uninstall') and then make sure the game/EP folders are gone from C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games

After this try downloading first just the base game and then just one of the new expansion and see how that goes.

Let us know how you get on!

I do not have a code for the two expansion packs that I bought through Origin. Will I lose them? There is no option for me to uninstall my expansion packs, only my base game.

View in thread

Message 5 of 8 (688 Views)

All Replies

EA Staff

@abbieski This sounds like there is an issue with Origin. Please try the steps in the order below:

1. Manually uninstall Origin
  2. Run CCleaner
  3. Make sure that your UAC is enabled and set to notify
  4. Download the latest version of Origin and install the client - make sure to run the setup file with Admin rights
  5. Add firewall/antivirus exceptions for Origin and open the needed ports
  6. When starting Origin, please make sure to run it as Administrator
  7. Try download/installing the expansions again

Message 2 of 8 (690 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

@EA_Kristi wrote:

@abbieski This sounds like there is an issue with Origin. Please try the steps in the order below:

1. Manually uninstall Origin
  2. Run CCleaner
  3. Make sure that your UAC is enabled and set to notify
  4. Download the latest version of Origin and install the client - make sure to run the setup file with Admin rights
  5. Add firewall/antivirus exceptions for Origin and open the needed ports
  6. When starting Origin, please make sure to run it as Administrator
  7. Try download/installing the expansions again

I have tried all of that and it still did nothing.  I have also already talked to four different advisors and have not been able to figure anything out.

Message 3 of 8 (685 Views)

EA Staff

Would you be willing to completely uninstall Sims 3 and the expansions? You can make a copy of your games saves (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves) folder so you won't lose progress. 

If you are willing to uninstall and re-download everything, try uninstalling using Origin (right click the expansions and the base game tile and select 'Uninstall') and then make sure the game/EP folders are gone from C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games

After this try downloading first just the base game and then just one of the new expansion and see how that goes.

Message 4 of 8 (671 Views)

★★ Novice

@EA_Kristi wrote:

I do not have a code for the two expansion packs that I bought through Origin. Will I lose them? There is no option for me to uninstall my expansion packs, only my base game.

Message 5 of 8 (689 Views)

EA Staff

@abbieski Once the game/expansions are linked to your account, you don't need to redeem the codes again. You can uninstall the game/expansions and re-download/install them from Origin without the need to redeem the codes again.

As for the uninstall itself, if no option is there for the EPs just uninstall the base game and check the directory (Origin Games folder) to make sure none of Sims 3 folders remain.

Message 6 of 8 (660 Views)

★★ Novice

I had to uninstall everything and then restall them again. Thank you!

Message 7 of 8 (634 Views)

EA Staff

@abbieski Glad to hear you got it all working :eahigh_file:

Have fun playing and don't hesitate to come back to us ig you have any questions in the future!

Message 8 of 8 (610 Views)