Sims 3 crashes on windows 8

by emma_wild15

Original Post

Sims 3 crashes on windows 8

★ Novice

The game works like normal but then 5 minutes in it crashes and says it is searching for solutions. Have tried everything out there, have uninstalled and reinstalled and completely uninstalled my expansion pack too but no luck!

Message 1 of 7 (276 Views)

Re: Sims 3 crashes on windows 8

EA app Team

Hi @emma_wild15,

Let's try to find out which is the problem Standard smile To do so, we would need some information about your computer. Could you follow these instructions to get a dxdiag of your computer and attach it to your answer? 

Also, could you try to get more information about the crash from Windows? Right click on the start button and select 'Event viewer'. In the left menu of the Event viewer, go to Windows Logs > Application and check there for issues related with The Sims 3. Once you find the most recent issue, click on it and copy the information under the "General" tab. Paste that information in your answer to this thread so we can take a look.

Thanks,

Mai

Message 2 of 7 (261 Views)

★ Novice

Hi Mai,

I've attached the DxDiag and the error in the 'game crash' file!

Thank you!

Message 3 of 7 (245 Views)

EA app Team

Thanks for that information @emma_wild15.

I have a few more questions, could you please answer them so we can have more information:

1. Were you able to play the game in that computer before?
  2. Which packs do you have installed?
  3. Did you install the games through Origin or disks? If you installed them using your DVDs, please, uninstall them, redeem your codes in Origin and try again installing them through Origin this time.
  4. Are you using mods or custom content in your game? If so, does the game work without them?
  5. Does the game crash when you are doing something specific in the game or randomly?

Thank you,

Mai

Message 4 of 7 (237 Views)

★ Novice

I was able to play the game for about 2 years and it installed with the discs, but when I have reinstalled it I have done it with Origin! 

I had installed the University Life expansion pack, it worked with this on for about 4 months and then I started having problems with that so I uninstalled the expansion pack. The game probably worked normally for another month and then it started crashing randomly. 

I've tried different things and it still crashes, usually after about 5 minutes of playing and I try different things out too.

Sorry got no idea about question 4!

Thank you,

Emma

Message 5 of 7 (215 Views)

EA app Team

Ok, @emma_wild15, thanks and don't worry about question 4. If you don't know what I am talking about it means you are not using them Wink

Let's make a test to try to determine where the issue comes from. Please, follow these steps:

1. With the game closed, go to Documents \ Electronic Arts.
  2. Find "The Sims 3" folder and change its name to "The Sims 3 old"
  3. Open your game again. You won't find your save games but don't worry, that's normal. Please, create a new game a play for a while.

Does it crash now?

-Mai

Message 6 of 7 (202 Views)

★ Novice

Hi Mai, 

It worked for about an hour and a half, it then crashed again Confused

Message 7 of 7 (196 Views)