Sims 3 Game Freezing during Save

by xEmma13x

Original Post

Sims 3 Game Freezing during Save

★★ Novice

I've been playing Sims 3 for ages. I have the seasons, generations and late night expansions. 

A few weeks ago I played normally for a few hours, and when I tried to save my game it froze on the saving screen and I had to use task manager to close it down - losing at least an hour of my progress. I went on again today and played for 15 minutes before trying to save and the same thing happened. I then restarted my computer, opened my Sims game and saved as soon as it loaded - nothing. I then tried to use the 'save as' function and still nothing. ALL of these situations have ended with me having to use task manager to close down Sims 3. 

It says I don't have any disc space left, so I'm aware that this COULD be the cause, however how do I make space? And how do I know what to delete without losing any of my game-play or anything important? I'm not very tech savvy in that area and I get too afraid to try something in case it ruins something! 

This is becoming incredibly frustrating as I want to do so many things on my game but obviously can't; as there is no point since the progress won't be saved anyway! 

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Message 1 of 11 (2,670 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Game Freezing during Save

EA Staff

@xEmma13x To make more space on your hard drive you don't need to delete any game content. Are you on Windows or iOS? Have you tried making space by deleting old games/files/programs?

Message 2 of 11 (2,665 Views)

★★ Novice

My hard drive isn't full, it just says that my game disk is full? 

I've deleted stuff from the game files that I know I don't need like screenshots etc, and going to delete some old game save files to see if that clears anything up. But I do have space on my actual hard drive it's just that the disk says 0 bytes free of 3.90GB

Message 3 of 11 (2,661 Views)

★★ Novice

And I'm on Windows Standard smile 

Message 4 of 11 (2,660 Views)

EA Staff

@xEmma13x Ah sorry, I misunderstood Standard smile You don't need space on the actual game disc, the saves are made on your computers hard drive. 

Do you sue any mods or custom content? Have you checked if the same issue occurs if you move the moves folder to your desktop for example (Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 - just copy the 'Mods' folder, paste to your desktop and then delete the Mods folder at  Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3).

Also if you use Origin client you could try repairing the game. To do this, right click the Sims 3 game tile in Origin and select 'repair Game'.

Let us know how you get on!

Message 5 of 11 (2,651 Views)

★★ Novice

Sorry if this is me being silly but I haven't got a Mods folder? 

Message 6 of 11 (2,646 Views)

EA Staff

@xEmma13x Ah that just probaly mean you don't have any mods or custom content. Could you try the repair then?

Message 7 of 11 (2,642 Views)

★★ Novice

I dont use the origin client, is there a solution to repair the situation without it? 

Message 8 of 11 (2,633 Views)

EA Staff

@xEmma13x I am afraid not Frown

The only other thing I can recommend is to uninstall and reinstall the game. If you do chose to do that, make sure to make a copy of your Saves folder: Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves

Message 9 of 11 (2,628 Views)

★★ Novice

So if I make a copy of my saves folder to my documents, un-install the game and then re-install it.. do I just copy the save folder back to the new game folder and they're there? Sorry for all the questions Standard smile 

Message 10 of 11 (2,625 Views)