Sims 3 Expansion Pack says that it is installed on Origin, but doesn't work[Mac]

by pierules10

Original Post

Sims 3 Expansion Pack says that it is installed on Origin, but doesn't work[Mac]

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I know that there have been previous threads about this before, but none of their solutions have worked for me. I'm currently using a mac, and I installed Ambitions a month ago, but it won't show up in the game or the launcher, onluy on origin. I would uninstall it and install it again, but it doesn' t show up in uninstaller either. I found the Ambitions file in the Sims 3 folder in Applications already, and I put it in the trash, but it still says that it is installed on origin. I also re-installed origin. Is there any way to fix this without uninstalling the entire game? Would uninstalling the entire game even help? If I do re-install the game, will I lose all my data and current sims?

Message 1 of 8 (13,480 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Expansion Pack says that it is installed on Origin, but doesn't work[Mac]

Champion (Retired)

Hi

Sometimes the download or installation fails. This can be for a variety of factors, including your internet connection dropping out during the download. Sometimes this can result in an awkward situation in which Origin acts as though the game is installed correctly. This means you can’t play the game, but nor will Origin let you re-download it. You cannot easily “uninstall” the game, because of course it isn’t there.

There are two things you can try.

1.Go into Applications on your Mac's hard drive and look in the folder called “The Sims 3”. This is the location from which your game actually launches (as opposed to a similarly named folder within Documents, which is where your saves and other data are stored). In the folder in Applications you will see the shortcut icons for the base game as well as any expansions or stuff packs installed. If you can see the icon for the game that has failed to properly download from Origin, try right clicking on it and this should give you the option to show the original file. You can move the original files to the trash from there. This may allow you to commence a re-download from Origin. (Many thanks go to Tremayne from TS3 Mac forum for this suggestion.)

2. Look in Preferences in the Origin client and find the game installers. Delete the files relating to TS3. Log out of the client, then back in, then you may be able to start redownloading.

If this does not work, or if the icon is missing from the “The Sims 3” folder in Applications, then you may need to completely uninstall and reinstall.

Caspin

Message 2 of 8 (13,436 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Expansion Pack says that it is installed on Origin, but doesn't work[

★★★★★ Novice

It did work, But the Problem is Whenever i re-download them. They're Not showing Up in Games! And it's saying ''Preparing Download'' Is that bad? Or am i being To Unpatient.

Message 3 of 8 (11,637 Views)

Re: Sims 3 Expansion Pack says that it is installed on Origin, but doesn't work[

★ Novice

what if there is no icon i can't find sims 3 ambitions icon

@caspinwall wrote:

Hi

Sometimes the download or installation fails. This can be for a variety of factors, including your internet connection dropping out during the download. Sometimes this can result in an awkward situation in which Origin acts as though the game is installed correctly. This means you can’t play the game, but nor will Origin let you re-download it. You cannot easily “uninstall” the game, because of course it isn’t there.

There are two things you can try.

1.Go into Applications on your Mac's hard drive and look in the folder called “The Sims 3”. This is the location from which your game actually launches (as opposed to a similarly named folder within Documents, which is where your saves and other data are stored). In the folder in Applications you will see the shortcut icons for the base game as well as any expansions or stuff packs installed. If you can see the icon for the game that has failed to properly download from Origin, try right clicking on it and this should give you the option to show the original file. You can move the original files to the trash from there. This may allow you to commence a re-download from Origin. (Many thanks go to Tremayne from TS3 Mac forum for this suggestion.)

2. Look in Preferences in the Origin client and find the game installers. Delete the files relating to TS3. Log out of the client, then back in, then you may be able to start redownloading.

If this does not work, or if the icon is missing from the “The Sims 3” folder in Applications, then you may need to completely uninstall and reinstall.

Caspin

Message 4 of 8 (8,165 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hello, I am having an issue where I install Ambitions and the installer says that it has installed in Applications. Though the Ambitions icon does not appear in the Applications folder, however, I know it is installed because after I try this the Launcher will not load up. I then uninstall it and the Launcher loads again. I have tried every solution I have been offered. The thing is today I started installing it on a computer that was wiped clean and same thing. I am sick of seeing that error message The Sims 3: Unknown error occurred. I need to know what I can do I do not want to play the game with only a portion of the stuff and expansion packs that I own. 

Thanx, 

Josh

Message 5 of 8 (7,345 Views)

★ Apprentice

I've been able to find out where the problem might just be. I cleared all the data out of my library and the problem was still there. It was only when I opened CC cleaner and looked under tools and uninstall where I found there was still registry content and data still there relating to the game. I deleted them and successfully managed to get the sims and all relevant add on packs to become clear and ready to download and install again.

I didn't think about looking there until I was told to look from contacting the help center on the phone. After four calls today and going around in circles looking to see what the problem was.

Message 6 of 8 (7,320 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@simsbyjcw Yes the pack should show as installed in control panel/Applications. Did you ever use a registry cleaner like ccleaner (there is a free version) to clean the registry. Did you ever use the control panel to uninistall the pack? Most of the time the uninstall wizard will not remove all the data. What do you mean by "wiped clean". What operating system is on the machine you are having issues with?

Message 7 of 8 (7,317 Views)

Message 8 of 8 (4,794 Views)