Simms 3 Generations won't install due to InstallShield Wizard error

by vinnieboJ

Original Post

Simms 3 Generations won't install due to InstallShield Wizard error

★★ Novice

Today I bought the Sims 3 Generations expantion for my GF. I installed it on her laptop with nearly no issues. but when I try to install it on my laptop (they both run on Windows 8) I get an InstallShield Wizard error: 5006: 0x80070005 during the setup. saying I need to check if the previous installations were completed and all other applications are closed. I closed all applications and i am quite sure all previous installations have been completed . what can I do about this error? re-starting my laptop didn't  work either. 

Message 1 of 9 (1,989 Views)

Re: Simms 3 Generations won't install due to InstallShield Wizard error

Hero

Try if emptying the windows\temp directory helps.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 9 (1,986 Views)

★★ Novice

and where can I find that?

Message 3 of 9 (1,981 Views)

Hero

In your windows directory.

Use a thrid party tool like ccleaner to help you with that if your unsure what you're doing.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 9 (1,972 Views)

★★ Novice
I used CCleaner, but it didn't help. I keep getting the error. On top, CCleaner messed up several other programs on my laptop (autoCAD, Chrome And Microsoft Office, to name a few) and on top of that my laptop is unable to connect to any wireless network. And due to the same error I had with the sims game I can't run the system recovery properly. I don't know what to do any more
Message 5 of 9 (1,957 Views)

Hero

Are you sure you don't have a virus of some kind ?

CCleaner only cleans out the files you tell it too. Did you just clean out the temp directory or did you do other stuff ?

How are the programs messed up ? Do they not run anymore ? Any error messages ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 9 (1,955 Views)

★★ Novice
I have no virus on my laptop, O checked that. The programs will start but as soon as they are loaded they will crash and won't respond. I cleared out a few things with the ccleaner there was no obvious tab or something saying windows temp. Directory. AutoCAD and Chrome will just crash after starting and i have to end them using task manager. If i try to start Word or so it says that an error has occurred making Word not function properly and forcing Word to shut down. Do you wish to repair the error? I clicked yes and it started reparing. After it was done I restarted Word giving me the same error again. I have removed CCleaner from my laptop
Message 7 of 9 (1,952 Views)

Hero

I really sorry to hear that. I never had any issues with the tool nor did I hear that people have them.

Try if reinstalling Chrome solves that issue.

What happens if you do a system restore exactly ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 9 (1,947 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Do you have Windows 8 or Windows 8.1? This is an indications of some system corruption. From what you describe there may be other problems. You could try a system restore to an early time and the computer may recover. Search for recovery then open system restore.

Message 9 of 9 (1,942 Views)