Re: Showtime almost always needs to be reinstalled to work

by Star1000120

Original Post

Showtime almost always needs to be reinstalled to work

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

This is the third time this has happened to me. I launch the Sims. Origin says I have Showtime installed, the launcher has Showtime selected, yet when I get to the menu I'm told that I can't get into my game. I end up having to reinstall Showtime and it works for a little while before the cycle repeats.

Edit: It seems to be a different issue now, it just finished reinstalling and it's still not letting me on my Showtime save

Message 1 of 7 (298 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Star1000120 Is your computer a pc or mac?

Message 2 of 7 (288 Views)

★ Novice

It's a PC, Windows 7

Message 3 of 7 (278 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Star1000120 please post your computer's dxdiag - thank you

Message 4 of 7 (272 Views)

★ Novice

Here it is

Message 5 of 7 (260 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Star1000120 The main issue of having to reinstall Showtime indicates system issues. The first thing I see is the present graphics chip is not supported by the game. The Intel HD Graphics 2500 (which is on the same chip as the I5) is not below minimum requirement The 64Mb dedicated video memory is below the minimum requirement. There is a PCIe X16 slot for a video card but the power supply is only rated at 320W which is low for most of today's video cards. I have questions as to why the Hitachi drive was partitioned the way it is. The fact that Windows 7 main support is over and now on extended support does not help the value of your computer. I feel just upgrading the video may not solve the problem and would not add value to the computer. That model was meant as a business model more then a consumer model. Business computers usually make poor gaming computers. Any repair will probably exceed the value of your computer in its present form.

I'm guessing someone put a new system hard drive in and moved the existing system drive to a secondary drive which may indicate issues on the original system drive. I'm guessing the 320W power supply may be failing and that could explain some of the issues (if not all the issues). With issues as you describe, your computer does not meet minimum requirements, and the low value I can only recommend a new (or newer) consumer computer.

Message 6 of 7 (248 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

To be honest, I'm not quite sure if I understood everything you said, however I know my computer meets the requirements and can play the Sims fine. I've played Sims on this computer for years issue-free and this issue only started to happen after I installed Showtime.
I figured out that it isn't an installation problem, at least as far as I know, because I started it and quit multiple times in a row and I had about a 50/50 chance that this save file wouldn't be grayed out. This save file is the only one that has used Showtime as of yet, and it's the only one that gets grayed out half the time. When it's not grayed out it plays fine and I'm able to select Starlight Shores (Showtime's town) for a new game. When it's grayed out and go to start a new game Starlight Shores is nowhere to be seen.

Message 7 of 7 (225 Views)