SIms 3 keeps crashing on windows 8

by FionaRose202

Original Post

SIms 3 keeps crashing on windows 8

★★★★★ Novice

I recently bought a new laptop that had windows 8 and downloaded Sims 3 and my expansion packs on it. Everything seemed fine during the download and installation, but when I opened the launcher and pressed play, the launcher closed and it said  that Sims 3 has stopped working.  I uninstalled all my games and tried to play it after each installation. The base game and World Adventures worked, but none of my other expansion packs did. I'm not sure what to do about it

Message 1 of 16 (2,018 Views)

Re: SIms 3 keeps crashing on windows 8

★ Novice

I also have a very similar problem. I have Windows 8.1 on my new laptop and installed all the expansions I have, it used to work okay but now I can only play for 5-10 minutes before it crashes and a window pops up saying "Sims 3 has stopped working". I don't know why it's suddenly doing this, but it's extremely annoying and frustrating! 

Message 2 of 16 (2,004 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Happening to me too, randomly. IDK what to think. This game sucks. Not a good representation for EA. I have had one problem after another, once one goes away by either starting a new town or something, another comes up. Not worth it. 

Message 3 of 16 (2,001 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

any of you have BitDefender ? that is known to cause an issue with the sims 3 ? also try give origin admin rights right click the origin icon run as admin

have you tried also to run the sims 3 in compatibility mode  right click the game icon-properties tick run as admin and tick run in compatibility mod for windows XP service pack 3 or windows 7 select in the drop down menu  click apply click accept you'll need to do that for all the game icons on the desktop then restart the computer amd also make sure your antivirus/firwall is not blocking the connection

some people that had Bitdefender found that was the issue so they disabled it temporiarlly and that worked also here is a list of known conflicts with the sims 3

http://help.ea.com/au/article/programs-that-may-cause-conflicts-with-origin/

edit typo

Message 4 of 16 (1,990 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

I don't have bitdefender. I have tried running as admin and tried it in both windows xp and windows 7 compatibility mode but neither of them work.

Message 5 of 16 (1,981 Views)

Hero

Have you tried all the stuff here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Game-Crashes-CTD/td-p/656/ ?

It's best if you made your own thread with the info above

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 16 (1,976 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

What is your operating system
I have Windows 8

At what point does your game crash ? Any regularities ?
My game crashes right after I press play on the launcher.

How long can you usually play ?
I can't play at all because it crashes right away.

Which EP/SPs do you have installed ?

Right now I only have Ambitions and Late Night installed. I haven't installed my other ones yet.

Are you using custom content and mods in your game ?

No

Message 7 of 16 (1,965 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Have you updated Windows 8 to Windows 8.1? Did you enable .net framework in Windows features? Does the launcher work at all?

Message 8 of 16 (1,957 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I haven't updated to 8.1, should I?

I did enable .net framework in Windows features.

The launcher works, its just that when I press play, the launcher closes as if launching but then the game crashes.

Message 9 of 16 (1,946 Views)

Hero

Could you post your Computer's DxDiag?

To gather a DxDiag on your computer, please follow the steps here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/HOW-TO-DxDiag-for-Sims-3-PC-Only/td-p/1049584/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 10 of 16 (1,938 Views)