Re: SIMS 3 WON'T RUN ANYMORE

by Sdesharnais1

Original Post

SIMS 3 WON'T RUN ANYMORE

★★★ Newbie

I've had the Sims 3 for ages and it has always worked on my laptop. I hadn't played it in a while and now it won't run! I've tried unloading them all and reloading them on and that didn't work. I've just bought the Sims 3 supernatural and added that and it still doesn't work so it's not the disk. Everytime I try to run it the screen comes up like its about to load but it's just jet black , although the mouse is the Sims loader on. Then after a short amount of time it just closes itself down into its own tab and brings you back to the desktop. Everytime I click the tab the same thing just happens over and over again! Then when I try to close the program down, it won't work and I have to log off or starts the task manager. What can I do?

Message 1 of 10 (13,867 Views)

Hero

Are you using custom content or mods ?

Try this

Resetting the game to factory settings without reinstalling

Many problems can be pinpointed on custom content or corruption in your user data. There's an easy way to reset your game to factory settings without going through the ordeal of reinstalling the whole thing (Path can be different depending on your OS):

• Make a backup of theSims3 folder in Documents\ElectronicArts to an external drive.
  • Rename your theSims3 folder in Documents\ElectronicArts to Sims3_Backup
  • Start the game or the launcher (All your save games will be gone, your options will be reset to factory settings and all your store content will be gone. Not to worry, it's all still there in that backup folder).
  • A new Sims3 folder will have been recreated in your documents\electronicArts folder. Some folders might be missing for they are only created when you need them.
  • Quit the game and the launcher
  • Move the options.ini file from your backup folder to your newly created folder in documents\electronicArts\thesims3 to recover your graphic/sounds/gameplay options
  • Go to programs(x86)\electronicarts\thesims3 and make sure you DO NOT have a mods folder there. If you do, move that to your desktop. Also make sure that there is no resource.cfg on that level (there will be on in your game\bin folder, don't delete that one).
  • Repeat above step for every expansion you have.
  • Start your game. You will need to start a new game for the other one is still missing right now.
  • See if your error is gone. If so, you can put starting the folders back, starting with your saves. Check your game after every folder.
  • This file UserPresets.package is all your custom styles you created in game, so you need to copy that one back as well.
  • The files PassportData.package and ChallengeData.package contain your SimPort and Achievements progress. Make sure to put back.
  • The folder Collections contains your collections. Make sure to put that back.
  • If you had a mods folder in your programs folder, don't put it back. Custom content does not go there any more.
  • If you find a mods folder in your documents folder, make sure you only put the stuff back that you know to be compatible
  • ALL custom content can potentially cause problems. If you found out which folder is causing problems, put your stuff back in groups or one by one until you find the guilty party.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 10 (13,813 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I havnt played it since i unistalled it all and reinstaleld it as it still wont play so shouldn't it already be at factory settings?

Message 3 of 10 (13,810 Views)

Hero

Uninstalling usally leaves the user files behind, especially cc and mods.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 10 (13,803 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Ive had this problem for awhile now.. I installed the sims with all my expansions onto my laptop. Ran the game.. it was fine. I decided to download about 10 houses... then tried to load my game. Didnt work. So of course I removed my newly downloaded items.. Still didnt load. So i temp. deleted ALL downloads... NOTHING! I even tried the "load game without any custom content" button, and it STILL WONT LOAD! I dont know what to do.. ive never had a problem like this before. It use to eventually load.. but not this time. Someone please help!

Message 5 of 10 (11,356 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having the same problem! the screen goes black and the hourglass popos up but in task manager the game always shows as not responding.

Message 6 of 10 (11,282 Views)

Hero

Try the factory reset described in this post: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps/td-p/714/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 10 (11,275 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Try Uninsraling it then request installing it use Origin 

Message 8 of 10 (8,901 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★★ Newbie

This exact problem just happened to me and now my Sims 3 will not work no matter how many times I restart, or uninstall, or whatever!! Frown

Message 9 of 10 (5,915 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The discs don't work anymore but if you registered your games, you will need to log into origin and download them onto your computer.

Message 10 of 10 (3,299 Views)