Register sims 3 bought on Steam on the Sims Store

by Lady_Arween

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Register sims 3 bought on Steam on the Sims Store

★ Novice

I have the Sims 3 from Steam, can I register the game on the Sims 3 store and keep it working on Steam? or my game will automatically awitch to my Origin account?

Message 1 of 17 (15,009 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Register sims 3 bought on Steam on the Sims Store

Hero (Retired)

@Lady_Arween Thank you for the update about Steam. I figured there was a way I just didn't know what it was. Thesims3.com site which is where you find the Sims 3 store is a separate site but I'm guessing thesims3.com and Origin share login information. You now use the same login for Origin as you do for thesims3.com. This whole mess was created when Windows 10 and El Capitan no longer supported the DRM - SecuROM and SafeDisc. EA had no choice but to change the DRM.

View in thread

Message 6 of 17 (16,438 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@Lady_Arween The Steam codes can be redeemed in Origin but as the systems install the game in different locations but may use the same user data I don't think it will work in both at the same time. I would not recommend this situation as user data corruption is more then possible (highly likely). I use both Steam (for Tombraider games and Fallout games) and Origin for the Sims games. The Sims 3 and Sims 4 are different then other 3D graphical games in that as expansion packs are released these packs can (and usually do) changes the games coding. IMO as EA is the owner of the game I would recommend running these games under Origin for best support. Support for the Sims 3 was complicated when Windows and El Capitan dropped support for the DRM for the game. The game continued to play until new DLC was purchased and the game had to be updated for the new DLC. IDK how Steam patches the game but the patch is not a download manual patch and Origin is patching the game for EA. If you want to continue to use Steam you will have to contact Steam support.

Message 2 of 17 (14,937 Views)

★ Novice

I appreciate the reply but unfortunately you haven't added anything new  and I think you misunderstood my question.

The point is, I'm have Sims 4 on my Origin account that's final.

Here I am talking about my Sims 3 that I have on Steam, I don't want to switch this game onto Origin and the patches are up-to-date on Steam. All I want to know is if i register my Sims 3 from Steam on the Sims 3 webpage, which is different from Origin, it will keep it on Steam or it will switch to Origin account.

I have been looking foe answers in the internet for ages now about this issue but it seems no one has a good answer!

Message 3 of 17 (14,925 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Lady_Arween The 1.69 patch is only available through Origin for PC users only - it is not available through the launcher or as a stand alone patch. Here is a link that explains the 1.69 patch - 1.69 patch  You will have to contact Steam support about this issue.

Message 4 of 17 (14,922 Views)

★ Novice

Actually the Steam updates Sims perfectly as well as Origin does. I found out on my own how to do the register thing... I just needed to register all my dlc's from Steam on the Sims 3.com Store and that's all, no Origin account is required!

Message 5 of 17 (14,894 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Lady_Arween Thank you for the update about Steam. I figured there was a way I just didn't know what it was. Thesims3.com site which is where you find the Sims 3 store is a separate site but I'm guessing thesims3.com and Origin share login information. You now use the same login for Origin as you do for thesims3.com. This whole mess was created when Windows 10 and El Capitan no longer supported the DRM - SecuROM and SafeDisc. EA had no choice but to change the DRM.

Message 6 of 17 (16,439 Views)

★★ Novice

I was having a similar issue.  My purchase Sims 3 from Steam has a CD key but, it is longer than the spaces provided on the Sims store site.  I would appreciate info on how to solve this if you figured out how.

Message 7 of 17 (12,823 Views)

@O123mahr  You need to use the option to "Register a Game," which calls for 20 characters.  The "Redeem a Code" option, which requires 16 characters, is only for certain bonus content.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 8 of 17 (12,806 Views)

★★ Novice
I should be more specific. I am trying to register the game on Origin. Mainly so I can use the create-a-world software. There is no option that I see to use a shorter Cd key.
Message 9 of 17 (12,752 Views)

[ Edited ]

@O123mahr  I understand exactly what you're trying to do.  As long as you use your Origin ID in the Sims 3 store, you can register your game in either platform and see it in both.  The store is easier to use and more reliable; if you don't see your game, try clearing your browser caches.

To register a game (not a world or some other bonus content), sign into the store and scroll down to the bottom of the page.  Choose the "Register a Game" option and input the 20 characters of your Steam CD key.

screenshot.png

This definitely works; I just tried it recently myself.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 10 of 17 (12,744 Views)