[Mac] The Sims 3 won't install!

by vividcontrast

Original Post

[Mac] The Sims 3 won't install!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

I cannot get my Sims 3 to install I have downloaded it on the Origin application on my Mac. I have checked to see if I meet all the requirements to play this game and I do. It keeps getting stuck on installing 3 out of 889. I don't know what to do and I've paid good money on this game. It just doesn't make sence to me! Frown

• Origin ID:vividcontrast
  • Are you opted into the Origin Beta? Yes: (Origin menu > Application Settings > Origin Beta Participation)
  • OS X version:   (10.6.8)
  • Processor, Memory and Graphics card information: (2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo, 2 GB ram, Radeon 2600)
  • Expansions you have/have active: Nothing yet trying to get the Sims 3
  • Any error message received: nothing
  • A detailed description of what is occurring: I have it downloaded on the origin app, but will not go past installing 3 out of 889 files
  • A detailed description of any troubleshooting you have already attempted:
Message 1 of 8 (34,831 Views)

Re: [Mac] The Sims 3 won't install!

Hero

Here's a few trouble shooting steps: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Links-to-Mac-help-threads-and-guides/m-p/749664#U749664

If those don't help, I would suggest posting in the mac forum at thesims3.com (make sure your language is set to US): http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/forums/show/205.page since macs are not well covered on the AnswerHQ.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 8 (34,714 Views)

★ Novice

Same problem, except my game gets stuck halfway and never gets past 840 out of 889. I've tried all the troubleshooting tips, updated my Mac (and I just bought it YESTERDAY), and uninstalled/reinstalled Origin. Nothing works, it just can't seem to get past the halfway point. This is for the base Sims 3 game, and I bought expansion packs as well that I won't be able to use until the Sims 3 is installed. Would love some help on this!

Message 3 of 8 (34,312 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi,

The first thing to check is that your Mac is sufficiently up-to-date to be able to run the Origin client. It requires at least OS X 10.6.8 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.

Make sure you have located the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there.

For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Make sure you are not running any antivirus or clean up apps, as these can delete files that Origin needs.

In case you need to reinstall:

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

Caspin

Message 4 of 8 (34,288 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Sooo- Hello,

Here's the thing, everytime I have tried to install the game it only reachs 839 of 889 and it won't continue- I downloaded origin and I am updating my comptuer (MAC)- I have tried to find the already failed attempt files of SM3 but can't find them anywhere,- my question is- will this harm the next download? according to my mac there is missing GB's but no files that can be found.

AS

Message 5 of 8 (31,620 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello - We always get stuck at file 646 of 889 (or whatever) during the install from inside of Origin. To me it sure seems like very poor work on the part of the creators of this product. Why sell us this download version (mac OS) if this problem is out there and known by many? I'm thinking the best thing is to try to get a refund and go buy the actual hard copy of the game at a store. 

Message 6 of 8 (31,418 Views)

Champion (Retired)

A few new posters on this older thread. For you new guys:

The download and installation from Origin is not always trouble free, unfortunately. If you are having problems, I recommend that you remove all TS3 files from your Mac, as well as removing Origin, then start again. Follow the instructions below on how to cleanly uninstall, then try to just get the base game installed and patched. If that works, back everything up before you start adding expansions, so that if something goes wrong you can get back to a functional base game without having to re-download all the time.

1. Clean uninstall and reinstall

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac. Be sure to choose the right file - there are various 'regional' files for disc-users and one designated region 7 for Origin-users.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

2. Further information on the cumulative manual superpatch

Many simmers find that patching their game via the Game Updates tab of the Launcher does not work properly. It is then better to download and apply the manual superpatch. It is important to download the Mac version rather than the PC version, and to pick the right one for your region. Be aware that if you are using a disc you need to choose the correct 'regional' file but if you are using digital download through Origin then you should use the file designated 'region 7'.

Instructions and the links to the downloads can be found in the Mac section of the forums at thesims3.com here:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/549552.page

If you use any mods or custom content, be sure to remove them before patching.

3. Using Origin to install games on Mac

Download and install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. If you already have Origin on your Mac but are having problems with downloading or installing games, delete the client and download a new copy (this sometimes fixes issues with downloading). The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there. For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Are you running anti-virus software or any clean-up applications? If so, disable these, as they might be deleting files that Origin needs. A fast, stable internet connection will also help you.

Message 7 of 8 (31,399 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Same with me! It started messing up the day after i bought it

Message 8 of 8 (26,671 Views)