(MAC) "Unknown error occurred" -- trying to install Ambitions/Late Night

by cel10e

Original Post

(MAC) "Unknown error occurred" -- trying to install Ambitions/Late Night

★★★★ Novice

Hi,

I bought TS3, High End Loft, Ambitions and Late Night lasat week and am having problems installing them. When I install just the base game and Loft it works fine on my computer -- I can open the launcher, run the game, etc. However, every time I install Ambitions or Late Night and then try to open the application, I get an 'Unknown error occurred' message that prevents me from opening the launcher. I've tried all the fixes I could find -- deleting Library/Preferences files, uninstalling/reinstalling, making sure everything's patched to the most recent version, etc. The Ambitions and Late Night expansion packs have never worked for me. Please, someone help me Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Message 1 of 17 (5,966 Views)

Re: (MAC) "Unknown error occurred" -- trying to install Ambitions/Late Night

Champion (Retired)

@cel10e wrote:

Hi,

I bought TS3, High End Loft, Ambitions and Late Night lasat week and am having problems installing them. When I install just the base game and Loft it works fine on my computer -- I can open the launcher, run the game, etc. However, every time I install Ambitions or Late Night and then try to open the application, I get an 'Unknown error occurred' message that prevents me from opening the launcher. I've tried all the fixes I could find -- deleting Library/Preferences files, uninstalling/reinstalling, making sure everything's patched to the most recent version, etc. The Ambitions and Late Night expansion packs have never worked for me. Please, someone help me Confusedmileyfrustrated:

Hi

Are you installing the games from discs or using digital downloads via Origin?

If you can open the game launcher, are the small icons (along the bottom) for Ambitions and Late Night coloured-in or still greyed-out? If you cannot open the launcher, look in the folder called "The Sims 3" within Applications on your hard drive. In that folder there should be short-cut icons for all the installed games - are Ambitions and Late Night in there?

Caspin

Message 2 of 17 (5,954 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

I'm using digital downloads.

I can't open the launcher when I have either or both expansions installed (right now they're uninstalled so that I could at least play the base game). When they were installed the shortcut icons did not show up in the Applications/Sims 3 folder (but I could navigate to them through Show Package Contents/Resources/AddOns, or through the Origin launcher).

Message 3 of 17 (5,951 Views)

Champion (Retired)

OK, it sounds as though the problem occurs somewhere between Origin and the installation. It is entirely possible that you have corrupt downloads as that seems to happen all too often with Origin downloads and particularly with Late Night for some reason.

Anyway, if I were you I would back up my system now (seeing as you currently have a working-ish game), then totally get rid of TS3 and Origin and start over. I have pasted a guide below. if you look in section 3, it explains to use the small "i" within Origin instead of the main install button, as that seems to reduce the chances of corrupt download. It's imperative to get rid of all the old files off your Mac first, to avoid issues with a new installation.

I wish you the best of luck!

Caspin

1. Clean uninstall and reinstall

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac. Be sure to choose the right file - there are various 'regional' files for disc-users and one designated region 7 for Origin-users.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

2. Further information on the cumulative manual superpatch

Many simmers find that patching their game via the Game Updates tab of the Launcher does not work properly. It is then better to download and apply the manual superpatch. It is important to download the Mac version rather than the PC version, and to pick the right one for your region. Be aware that if you are using a disc you need to choose the correct 'regional' file but if you are using digital download through Origin then you should use the file designated 'region 7'.

Instructions and the links to the downloads can be found in the Mac section of the forums at thesims3.com here:

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/549552.page

If you use any mods or custom content, be sure to remove them before patching.

3. Using Origin to install games on Mac

Download and install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. If you already have Origin on your Mac but are having problems with downloading or installing games, delete the client and download a new copy (this sometimes fixes issues with downloading). The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there. For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Are you running anti-virus software or any clean-up applications? If so, disable these, as they might be deleting files that Origin needs. A fast, stable internet connection will also help you.

Message 4 of 17 (5,948 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Well, I removed everything Sims- and Origin-related from my computer, then reinstalled Origin and redownloaded the games just like you said, and I'm still getting the same issue: TS3 and High End Loft work fine, but Ambitions and Late Night still give me the error. 

Message 5 of 17 (5,933 Views)

Champion (Retired)

So you are still getting the "unknown error" message when trying to launch the game? Sounds as though your downloads of Late Night and Ambitions are just corrupt or partially downloaded or something. Apart from redownloading them I have no idea how to solve that. I will ask the other helpers to see if they have any more clues.

Message 6 of 17 (5,932 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Yeah, as soon as I launch the game with either Ambitions or Late Night installed it gives me the "Unknown error occurred" message. Trying to bypass the launcher (I did that once a while ago) gives me another, similar error, so that's out too. I'm sure it's something in the download but this is the third or fourth time I've downloaded them so it seems like it's not just chance.

Message 7 of 17 (5,931 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@cel10e wrote:

Yeah, as soon as I launch the game with either Ambitions or Late Night installed it gives me the "Unknown error occurred" message. Trying to bypass the launcher (I did that once a while ago) gives me another, similar error, so that's out too. I'm sure it's something in the download but this is the third or fourth time I've downloaded them so it seems like it's not just chance.

Are you launching the game through Origin or directly from the base game icon in Applications/The Sims 3 folder? If you've been trying via Origin, try via the base game icon instead. 

Also purge your RAM (the launcher reallly chews through RAM): http://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

The only two things I can think of to fix your downloads are Angel make sure you really have got rid of the old game files before starting a new installation - old ones can cause conflicts, and (b) make sure you use that little "i" button in Origin rather than the main install button. If you are doing that and your internet connection is stable, I don't know what else you could try.

Message 8 of 17 (5,922 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm sorry to hijack your post, I'm unaware of protocols, but I am having almost this exact issue with Late Night except with physical CDs. I have also uninstalled / reinstalled ts3. This issue also occured for me when installing Monte Vista. 

Message 9 of 17 (5,921 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I was able to uninstall Late Night through the Uninstaller, though an icon for it did not show up in the Applications folder.

Message 10 of 17 (5,918 Views)