Re: [MAC] Sims 3 won't start!

by caspinwall

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[MAC] Sims 3 won't start!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have had Sims 3 on my Mac for some time, and it has always started up fine. However, I recently installed the Sims 3 Starter Pack, reinstalling the Sims 3, and now whenever I try to open any of my games, the Sims 3 green diamond pops up but does not open the game launcher. 

In the past, I have had to install all of my expansion packs twice, as they do not seem to work otherwise. However, the game has always still worked, though without the expansion pack for the first time. Now, nothing starts up. I do not know if this is related in any way?

Please help, thank you in advance! Standard smile

Message 1 of 13 (78,226 Views)

Accepted Solution

Champion (Retired)

Hi

When you reinstalled, did you first cleanly uinstall previous versions?

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

Also, are you using Origin? If so, are you sure that your download and installation were OK? Origin downloads become corrupted quite often.

Caspin

View in thread

Message 2 of 13 (89,190 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

Hi

When you reinstalled, did you first cleanly uinstall previous versions?

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

Also, are you using Origin? If so, are you sure that your download and installation were OK? Origin downloads become corrupted quite often.

Caspin

Message 2 of 13 (89,191 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Hi ludouk1

I have the same problem with the launcher atm but i did not make a reinstallation or any other changes, so it might not be related to your reinstallation. - Unfortunatly I do not have a solution for you. - Only thing that sometimes work for me is to restart my mac. Then it sometimes open, but it might not be related... Also check if you have a .bad file of your saved games. Perhaps clear out your cashe files if you usually dont, sometimes it works - sometimes not... 

The interesting thing about the answer you where already given is about Origen, I resently installed it, and if its the reason im having major problems with my game, i might have to try to uninstall it again.... might work for you? 

good luck

Message 3 of 13 (78,145 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you! I have reinstalled everything and it is now working - I think it may have been becuase my EA folder was empty?

Thanks again!

Message 4 of 13 (78,132 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have the same issue but I don't want to have to reinstall everything and lose everything. I've talked to customer support numerous amounts of times and I've done everything they've told me to do and it's still not working. Help!

Message 5 of 13 (57,253 Views)

★★ Novice
Hey! I have the same problem. I always played the sims on my windows laptop.
I recently got a macbook pro 13inch and i bought sims 3 for mac on origin since there is no room for a disk.
I installed sims 3, and after midnight and it wont start. I tried it with and without the launcher bypassing it. The only thing that happens is that i click play in the launcher and the blue screen pops up with the diamond (when its suppose to play the vid) it freezes. This happends with and without the launcher. I deleted everything and only installed the sims 3 again but the same problem appears. (Its up to date). I never played is because i just bought it from origin. Can someone please help me.
Message 6 of 13 (56,476 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi I'm currently having the same issue, did you ever figure it out?

Message 7 of 13 (53,462 Views)

@kendalllacey

Is your Mac one of the ones listed in this thread - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/Mac-Issues-playing-on-newer-post-2013-Macs/m-p/4935394#U4935394

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 8 of 13 (53,451 Views)

★ Novice

I just saw this thread and was having the same problem.  So even though this is a very late contribution, maybe it will be helpful to anyone searching this like I was.  I just realized I hadn't updated Adobe and as soon as I did it started working again.

Message 9 of 13 (50,739 Views)

★ Novice

same exact thing happened to me and the way i fixed it was by following this guide

https://bluebellflora.com/fix-for-incompatible-graphics-for-the-sims-3-on-mac/

Message 10 of 13 (50,382 Views)