Re: [MAC] Sims 3 Installation

by caspinwall

Original Post

[MAC] Sims 3 Installation

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

hi,

I have the Sims 3 DVD and have used it on two other computers before with no problem, but now when I try to download it on my Mac it stops at either 3 files or 106 files and stays there for several hours with the time remaining sayng twelve minutes.  I have tried stoping and restarting but it gets stuck in the same place every time

please help, I love the sims but i really don't want to have to rebuy the game 

Message 1 of 7 (213 Views)

★★ Apprentice
Hello,

You definitely don't have to rebuy the game. Let's try a different step to install the game.
Can you use Origin to install the game? Your disc may be corrupted as a rare case and downloading a fresh copy of the game from origin may help.

If you have any further questions regarding using Origin, please let me know.
Good luck.
Message 2 of 7 (208 Views)

★★★ Newbie

how do i do that?

Message 3 of 7 (204 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I figured out how to put the code in but it says i cant use it because it has already been used.  i used to play the game on my old laptop, does that mean that i cant play  it on this one?

Message 4 of 7 (200 Views)

Champion (Retired)
Did you ever have the game installed preciously on the Mac that you are trying to now use?
Message 5 of 7 (184 Views)

★★★ Newbie

no

Message 6 of 7 (178 Views)

Champion (Retired)

OK, I would first check through this guide and get rid of any trace of the game on the Mac you want to use (it may not have installed properly but there's a chance it left behind some stray files while it was trying): http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

I am assuming that you have already ensured that your Mac's specs are adequate to run the game. The other thing to check is that your Mac is sufficiently up-to-date to be able to run the Origin client. It requires at least OS X 10.6.8 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better. 

I would try one more time from the disc. If it won't work, try through Origin as Yenial suggested. If it is saying that you can't use the code for the game, you may need to contact EA customer services for help with that. They may be able to advise you or give you another code.

To download and install games through Origin:

First install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there.

Are you running anti-virus software or any clean-up applications? If so, disable these, as they might delete files that Origin needs.

Good luck!

Caspin

Message 7 of 7 (168 Views)