[MAC OS X] Sims 3 crashes right after I click the play button

by extasisydelirios

Original Post

[MAC OS X] Sims 3 crashes right after I click the play button

★★★ Newbie

I downloaded the game today, and right after I updated it I wanted to start playing but it crashed showing a error message that the game has closed unexpectedly. 
I need some help since I'm new to this game on mac... 

Message 1 of 2 (114 Views)

Re: [MAC OS X] Sims 3 crashes right after I click the play button

Champion (Retired)

@extasisydelirios wrote:

I downloaded the game today, and right after I updated it I wanted to start playing but it crashed showing a error message that the game has closed unexpectedly. 
I need some help since I'm new to this game on mac... 

Hi

Is it just the base game that you installed or expansion packs as well? 

How much RAM does your Mac have?

See if any of the tips below will help you.

Caspin

Tips for Mac simmers

Unfortunately a lot of TS3 players encounter problems when playing the game on their Mac. These can include crashing and freezing. A lot of these issues can be avoided or at least improved by the following measures.

Firstly, manually reset your RAM while playing. See BluebellFlora's guide on how to do this: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

I restart my computer before I play TS3. The memory used as seen in Activity Monitor is at about 3GB after the restart. If I open the Launcher it goes up to around 11 GB (that's all I've done - just opened the Launcher!). At this point I reset the RAM. Then I hit play and get through the opening sequence. I then press cmd-return to put the game in windowed mode from time to time while playing (and always before saving or using CAS). That way I can keep an eye on the memory and reset RAM if necessary. Being in windowed mode also allows you to close the game using force quit if it freezes up - it's better to crash the game than your whole computer.

Second tip is to save frequently. I save at least once per sim day. Use the option to Save or Save As, rather than the combined Save and Quit.

Make sure you are patched up to date. The 1.63 patch included fixes for Mac simmers that did actually improve the stability of the game on our operating systems, so it is well worth updating to at least that level. The current patch is 1.67.

For general advice, information and tips on how to play TS3 on a Mac, read BluebellFlora's guide here: http://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac/

Message 2 of 2 (101 Views)