Re: [MAC] I Have Tried EVERYTHING.

by fons_garmo

Original Post

[MAC] I Have Tried EVERYTHING.

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I  know there are a lot of issues with playing, or at least attempting to play Sims 3 on a Mac but my game is persistently unplayable and I have tried absolutely everything to no avail.

My main issues are the common Error 12 message and Exception Raised. I am playing on an Early 2013 15" Retina Macbook Pro, 2.7 GHz Intel i7 Core Processor, 8GB RAM 1600 MHz DDR3 with NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB. 

I have all expansion packs and stuff packs except the Katy Perry one. I have no CC or mods other than some downloaded store content and I am playing in Sunset Valley. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling countless times from Origin. Turning off CC does not change anything. 

I play in windowed mode with nothing else running in the background, I am constantly purging RAM as I play and try to keep it above 5GB free, with graphics on the lowest settings. I delete all .bad files before playing and go through the process of deleting all the other .package files that are recommended deleting. Reflections are completely turned off. I Save As every time but have got to the point where I have to save 10+ times in a Sim day and even then, only around 2, maybe 3 of those saves will work without the Error 12 message. Sometimes I will save, go into Buy Mode, buy one object, return to Live Mode and save, only to get Error 12. I've tried saving in different modes, paused and at different speeds. Every couple of sim days I will get the Exception Raised error, sometimes the game will just completely close to desktop with no explanation. My game loading time is incredibly long, normally at least 30 minutes, on a good day but I don't seem to have any problems with lagging or slow FPS. I did notice that my CPU rating was low and when I tried manually changing this it completely crashed my game and resulted in having to uninstall and reinstall everything. I think this was also due to a graphics issue I was having as well but since playing at the lowest settings, that seems to no longer be a problem. All the other issues are progressively getting worse and worse. 

I have searched through every forum and gone through every possible resolution but I have yet to find any solution and I am aware that these are common issues...but my game has now got to the point where it is not worth even attempting to play.

I use my Macbook for a lot of HD Video Editing for work and have never had any issues with rendering, loading or performance. I don't really want to Bootcamp my Mac for this reason, as I need the space available so I am trying to find a solution without doing this.

If anyone has ANY advice then I'd be grateful as I understand there will be no further patching from EA due to the focus now being on Sims 4. 

Message 1 of 13 (373 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

Hi @JCleave31,

It seems that the game is having issues related with memory RAM. I'd suggest running Apple Hardware Test and repairing disk permissions.

To run Apple Hardware Test:

-Boot your Mac with Option-D held down immediately after you hear the boot chimes, and the tests will download from Apple's servers.

To repair disk permissions:

-Open Disk Utility (It's located in Applications\Utilities)

-Select Macintosh HD and on the "First Aid" tab, click "Repair disk permissions"

========
XP = "Thank you!" / "¡Gracias!"
"Accept as solution" = "This solved my problem!" / "¡Esto ha solucionado el problema!"

Message 2 of 13 (360 Views)

★★ Novice

Hey fons_garmo,

Thank you for your suggestion but unfortunately this has not helped. I do remember trying this before and not having any success. I returned my Sims home from work, saved and encountered an Error 12 within minutes of starting the game up. So frustrating. 

Message 3 of 13 (340 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@JCleave31

Ok, is you game updated to the latest version? Latest is 1.67

========
"Accept as solution" = "This solved my problem!" / "¡Esto ha solucionado el problema!"

Message 4 of 13 (336 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Yes it is. 

Message 5 of 13 (306 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@JCleave31

-Does this happen in every single save game?

-Have you tried using "Save as..." option?

========
Please note I don't work for EA, I'm just a player like you, trying to help other players. / Ten en cuenta que no trabajo para EA, solo soy un jugador tratando de ayudar a otros jugadores.

Message 6 of 13 (298 Views)

★★ Novice
I always use Save As and it happens roughly 8 times out of 10. It's got to the point that it's a challenge just to get through a Sim day. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it either.
Message 7 of 13 (294 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@JCleave31

Okay, does it happen just in one save game or in all your saves? Have you tried creating a new save and check if the issue persists?

========
Please note I don't work for EA, I'm just a player like you, trying to help other players. / Ten en cuenta que no trabajo para EA, solo soy un jugador tratando de ayudar a otros jugadores.

Message 8 of 13 (290 Views)

★★ Novice
It happens in all saves. Since I Save As every time I have to create a new save file. The issue still persists regardless. Occasionally, just attempting to save again under another unique file name or rewriting an old save will work, this is rare though.
Message 9 of 13 (280 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@JCleave31

Please try this workaround http://zaccym.blogspot.co.uk/2011/04/how-to-overcome-save-error-code-12-on.html and tell me if you need further help Confusedmileyhappy:

========

Message 10 of 13 (271 Views)