[MAC] Cant download from Sims store or exchange

by ameliaabaker

Original Post

[MAC] Cant download from Sims store or exchange

★★ Novice
I have downloaded exchange content before onto my game it works fine and it still does, but I have been trying to download some more things from the exchange and it loads the launcher then something pops and and says "unknown error occurred" it won't let me download a single thing, i am on a mac book pro that I have had for awhile everything works fine but I just can't download anything please get back to me ASAP and help me out please!!!
Message 1 of 7 (266 Views)

Re: [MAC] Cant download from Sims store or exchange

Champion (Retired)

Hi

This problem seems to be occurring more and more frequently. There are a few things you can try. First, make sure the Launcher is open before you choose to download something from Store/Exchange. Try using differnet internet browers. Purge your RAM manually after opening the Launcher but before trying to download ( http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay ). Don't try to download too much at once.

Caspin

Message 2 of 7 (261 Views)

★★ Novice

thank you i have tryed all that before and it is still saying "unknown error" and also my game has been crashing alot latly ?!

Message 3 of 7 (253 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi

What is it that you are trying to download from the Exchange - it is possible that there may be dodgy CC attached, or sometimes it goes nuts if you try to download too much at once. Instead of using the "add to game" button on the Exchange page, instead use "save file". Then save the files to your desktop. You can then drag them into your Downloads folder in Documents / Electronic Arts / The Sims 3. Next time you open the launcher the files should be in the downloads tab and you can go ahead and install them. See if that works any better.

As for general crashing, are you purging the RAM regularly - if not, try it.  Also save frequently. Turn off in-game social features.

For general advice, information and tips on how to play TS3 on a Mac, read BluebellFlora's guide here: http://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac/

Caspin

Message 4 of 7 (250 Views)

★★ Novice

im not downlodeing heaps from the exchange at once only like one or two things and eveything i have tryed doesnt work, i went to documents then electronic arts then sims 3 and downloads and downloding one thing that way to see if that works im not sure if it does yet. 

if i purge my RAM will that deleate anything ? do i need to do some sort of backup, if so how so ? thankxx

Message 5 of 7 (247 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Hi

No, as long as you follow the guide carefully, purging your RAM will not do any harm. It just tidies up the used memory on your computer so that the game has a better chance to access the memory that it needs to run well.

http://bluebellflora.com/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

However it is a good idea to back up your files occasionally anyway. You can use TimeMachine or else just have an external drive or flash drive and store your most precious files there.

Caspin

Message 6 of 7 (241 Views)

★★ Novice

thanks a heap, but i tried that way you sujested to downlode costom content it all downloaded fine looking like it should work but when i went onto my game none of it was there still?! i will back up my computer tonight and purge the ram ill let you know how that goes and if there is any further problems x

Message 7 of 7 (233 Views)