Is ok to play the sims 3 with all eps besides stuff packs and some cc?

by Pink_Candy_Cat

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Is ok to play the sims 3 with all eps besides stuff packs and some cc?

★★★ Novice

I'm looking for a new graphics card to play the sims 3 because my current one isn't compatible unfortunately. I was wondering if this one was ok to play on and will it support all expansion packs with no stuff packs and a moderate amount of cc+mods? If not, can you please leave some suggestions and I am low on money so they would have to be only up to $100.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-512-P3-1300-LR-GeForce-Express-Graphics/dp/B004BQKQ8A/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=...

Message 1 of 5 (1,278 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Is ok to play the sims 3 with all eps besides stuff packs and some cc?

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

It should be ok. I'm not an ATI/AMD fan but that card will get you into the DX11.2 range. Minimum requirement is a 500 W power supply and 650 w is recommended. Card requires a 6 pin video card connector. There should be adapters included to convert the common Molex connectors but be sure your power supply can supply enough power to run the card. Should be more then adequate for TS3 and TS4. That card would be good for today.

add: if want want a definitive answer on ATI/AMD cards go to sims3 tech forum and give a shout out for chesterbigbird. She's more into ATI/AMD. I'm a Nvidia person.

View in thread

Message 4 of 5 (1,274 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@Pink_Candy_Cat The GeForce 8400 MAY work but is very old technology. Also the Nvidia 8XXX series is known to run hot to the point of self destruction. They work goo if you keep them cool. TS3 is an old game and is questionable if it will support the 8400 will support today's newer games. That video card will add no value to your computer. If your looking for an old tech vid card a 9800 GT would be a better buy (Amazon $49.95 usd). It is DX10 compliant and will fully support TS3. The only problem when upgrading to this class of video card is you need to have a power supply to run it. The XFX 9800 GT I have says MINIMUM 400 Watt power supply (I recommend a 550 watt power supply) that can supply 26 amps on the 12 volt rail. There should be a label on the power supply that lists the specs.

Message 2 of 5 (1,270 Views)

★★★ Novice
@roberta591 thank you. I was wondering if a Radeon r7 260x would work?
Message 3 of 5 (1,265 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

It should be ok. I'm not an ATI/AMD fan but that card will get you into the DX11.2 range. Minimum requirement is a 500 W power supply and 650 w is recommended. Card requires a 6 pin video card connector. There should be adapters included to convert the common Molex connectors but be sure your power supply can supply enough power to run the card. Should be more then adequate for TS3 and TS4. That card would be good for today.

add: if want want a definitive answer on ATI/AMD cards go to sims3 tech forum and give a shout out for chesterbigbird. She's more into ATI/AMD. I'm a Nvidia person.

Message 4 of 5 (1,275 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thank you! @roberta591 Going to buy it now along with a new power supply!

Message 5 of 5 (1,248 Views)