Re: Insufficient Memory

by HippieWiccan13

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Insufficient Memory

★★★★★ Apprentice

I have 64 gb of RAM. I have set the game to use 30 gb of that.  I am getting kicked out of the game and the crash log analyzer says it is due to lack of memory!  HELP?!?!?!?

Message 1 of 8 (7,110 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★★★ Apprentice

I want to thank you all for your help!  It turns out that I had to set the system settings to use my NVIDIA card not the internal card for the game!  I did not know this!  I am not the most hardware savvy girl...I didn't even know I had two cards!  (new laptop!)...

Anyway...I am not having issues anymore (other than the lag from teh obscene amount of CC I have!)

Thank you!

View in thread

Message 4 of 8 (9,336 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@HippieWiccan13 First Sims 3 is a 32 bit application (game). As such the application will only run in 2Gb of memory because of the way the program that compiles (assembles) work. There are more ways to run out of memory then running out of physical memory. Buffers are also a part of memory that the computers use and are finite. If your computer exceeds the limits of system resources you usually get an out of memory error when in fact you have a lot of free memory available. I don't see lack of memory but what I do see is "ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000024". This memory location is reserved by the operating system and is considered protected. What you could try is to add TS3W.exe to the DEP (data execution protection) exempt table. Here is a link - how to add TS3W to DEP WARNING *** Be aware you are changing a system setting and may cause issues. That said some systems seem to need this setting to run TS3.

hth

Message 2 of 8 (7,047 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

Thank you!  I will try that!

Message 3 of 8 (7,044 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I want to thank you all for your help!  It turns out that I had to set the system settings to use my NVIDIA card not the internal card for the game!  I did not know this!  I am not the most hardware savvy girl...I didn't even know I had two cards!  (new laptop!)...

Anyway...I am not having issues anymore (other than the lag from teh obscene amount of CC I have!)

Thank you!

Message 4 of 8 (9,337 Views)

EA app Team

Glad to read you found the issue @HippieWiccan13! Thanks for coming back to let the community know how to solve it, this might help someone with your same issue in the future Wink Enjoy your new laptop!

-Mai

Message 5 of 8 (7,031 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

So...I found this http://simmetrydesign.forumotion.com/t95-want-sims-3-to-use-more-ram-you-can and since I have 64 Gb of RAM (60 usable) I set it to 30. That still kept kicking me out and the crash log analyzer was saying insufficient memory.  So I went in and reset it to 8.  I put the game in Windowed mode and watched it load the house (it rendered pretty quick, which was nice) and it went up over 3.5 in the task manager.

The point is: for anyone getting a memory error...if you have more than 4 Gb of RAM you can use the instructions above.  I am assuming it won't work with a setting over 8 since I was still getting errors at 30 but am not at 8!

Good luck if you try it!!!

Message 6 of 8 (6,999 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

This is what I am talking about...see how it is over 2,000...it has been between 2,000 & 3,000 for the last few minutes...I am thinking this is a good solution :c)

Message 7 of 8 (6,995 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@HippieWiccan13 Again The Sims 3 is a 32 bit application and CAN NOT address above 4Gb because of the very nature of being a 32 bit program regardless of how much memory your computer has. As other background programs execute in low memory (the Windows jump table starts at 0 memory location). Most compilers in use do not (can not?) generate a jump instruction beyond the 2Gb range. One of the Sims 3 patches (patch 1.17 in October 26 2010) enabled LAA (large address aware) by default and allows access to memory above 2Gb and use of this extra memory usually requires the use of assembly language routines (marcos?) that run outside the compilers. This is because of the micro code inside the cpu regarding the way the cpu accesses blocks of memory because of the address bus. Normally a 32 bit 4Gb computer would overlay the system roms (read only memory - bios, keyboard rom) over memory in the high end (just below the end of 4Gb) reducing the available memory by about .5Gb in a 4Gb system. The way the Windows operating system works is very complicated and for some odd reason the game tries to access memory the operating system has deemed protected. If the game is allowed to access these memory locations an invalid value will probably be returned and the game will execute an error routine and recover. If this is not allowed the game would probably crash because the Windows operating system will disallow access (this is a guess) - an operating system routine will run rather then a game error routine. This is a very, very simple explanation.

fyi

Message 8 of 8 (6,985 Views)