Install Sims 3 on computer without disc drive

by tranenthee11

Original Post

Install Sims 3 on computer without disc drive

★★★ Newbie

My brother and I just got a new laptop but it doesn't have a disc drive and we already have the Sims 3 on disc...

How do we install the game without having to purchase it again?

Please help us!

Desperate!

Message 1 of 11 (49,866 Views)

Re: Install Sims 3 on computer without disc drive

Hero

When you register the game at thesims3.com, the games are added to your myGames library on the Origin client.

You can download the download version from there.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 11 (49,651 Views)

★★ Novice

What about downloading packs without a disc drive?

Message 3 of 11 (15,923 Views)

@Taelex  The answer is the same: register your packs in Origin if you haven't already done so, and then you can download them for free.  Once you've downloaded the base game, click on the Sims 3 icon, select More > Expansion Packs (or Stuff Packs), scroll through the lists to the packs you want, and click Download.  Origin will manage everything for you.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 4 of 11 (15,915 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thanks for this Standard smile

But if the game didn't register properly - I've had the game for years and quite a few additionals (such as seasons, etc.) none of which are showing on origin to download is there another way to get them as a download?

Or do you know if you can buy a separate disc reader to play them on?

Thanks for any help you can give Standard smile

Message 5 of 11 (12,614 Views)

@marissaabjones13  If the product keys were never used, you can still register them to your Origin account now.  If you did use them, perhaps on a different account, either in Origin or on the old Sims 3 site ( www.thesims3.com or store.thesims3.com ), you can request that EA customer support merge your old account with your new one.  Keep in mind that the store content owned by the account being merged will likely not transfer to the new account.

https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

Otherwise, yes, you can use an external disc drive to install your packs.  If your base game disc was manufactured before September 2012, then you can install entirely via disc and leave Origin out of the picture.  Otherwise, Origin will still manage the install process, but it still should probably allow you to use the content you install via disc.  This doesn't always work though, so if you can install without Origin, that's the better approach.

Message 6 of 11 (12,586 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank-you so much! Standard smile

Message 7 of 11 (12,399 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@crinrict I know this is an old post. I recently had to repurchase my Sims 3 discs and since I don't have a disk drive on my laptop, if I register them on thesims3.com, will they appear in my Origin account?
Message 8 of 11 (11,606 Views)

@choran929  Yes, they will appear in the Origin account tied to your thesims3.com account.  Or you could register them directly in Origin, although the old Sims 3 site is more reliable.

Message 9 of 11 (11,599 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@puzzlezaddict Thank you!
Message 10 of 11 (11,536 Views)