If I buy a Sims 3 Expansion Pack in Origin as a Download, can I play with out a disc even though the base game uses a disc?

by Proteus-846

Original Post

Accepted Solution

If I buy a Sims 3 Expansion Pack in Origin as a Download, can I play with out a disc even though the base game uses a disc?

★★★★★ Novice

I own the Sims 3 in disc form from when it first came out, but I don't have any Expansion Packs. If I purchase one digitally in Origin, can I play the game without a disc? Right now, I can only play with a disc since the disc version requires it. Basically, since the most recent pack would be digital and the most recent disc is used, would I not need a disc at all anymore to play?

Message 1 of 20 (73,210 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: If I buy a Sims 3 Expansion Pack in Origin as a Download, can I play with out a disc even though the base game uses a disc?

★★★ Novice

since it installs locally to your hard drive, you shouldn't need the CD unless you want to make a clean re-install or something. Keep it handy (and the serial code) but your downloads should run normally inside the original Sims game. 

View in thread

Message 4 of 20 (78,109 Views)

All Replies

Re: If I buy a Sims 3 Expansion Pack in Origin as a Download, can I play with out a disc even though the base game uses a disc?

★★★ Newbie
I have disk versions and digital versions of the expansion packs. When playing the digital copies I just had my sims game disk that I last installed and it worked fine. You dont even need a disk at all though because it installs it onto your hardrive.
Message 2 of 20 (72,948 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
So if I buy an Expansion Pack as a download, I won't need my disc anymore? (I'll still keep it obviously, but I don't want to bring it with me all the time)
Message 3 of 20 (72,945 Views)

★★★ Novice

since it installs locally to your hard drive, you shouldn't need the CD unless you want to make a clean re-install or something. Keep it handy (and the serial code) but your downloads should run normally inside the original Sims game. 

Message 4 of 20 (78,110 Views)

★★★ Newbie

excuse me... i dont think u understand unless i dont understand haha

so your saying the sims 3 even without expansion packs you can play the game without the disk?   thats not so true at all... if u only have the sims 3 without expansion packs.. You Still Need The Disk to load the game out but u can take the disk oout after its loaded...

hes wondering if he buys an expansion pack from origin will he therefore still need the original sims 3 cd to still be able to run the game???

Message 5 of 20 (72,117 Views)

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

If you download the base game and your expansions from Origin (which you should be able to do once you registered your games) you won't need the disc anymore to play.

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 6 of 20 (72,108 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I have the base game, Night Life and Loft Stuff through Origin (thanks Humble Bundle!). Can I still install other EPs from disc and play through Origin?

Message 7 of 20 (66,635 Views)

Hero (Retired)

you can do both i have disks and digital downloads of the games  so if for example your next gameyou buy is seasons disk you install it and play from the disk OR if you want you redeem the code on origin and download the digital version of your game instead

Message 8 of 20 (66,634 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Excellent! Thanks for the info!

Message 9 of 20 (66,615 Views)

Re: If I buy a Sims 3 Expansion Pack in Origin as a Download, can I play with out a disc even though

★★★ Newbie
I haven't been able to play without a disk. I got an expansion pack and the base game on disk and two expansions from Origin. I've read that you have to uninstall the game from your laptop and redownload the digital version.
Message 10 of 20 (50,040 Views)