I Cant Open the sims 3 launcher

by babyteek

Original Post

Accepted Solution

I Cant Open the sims 3 launcher

★★★ Newbie

i cant open the sims 3 launcher but i found another way of playing the game but i cant update the game or download the new town from the website and i miss the launcher, is there any way i can fix it or can you try to find a way to fix it?

Message 1 of 2 (1,244 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: I Cant Open the sims 3 launcher

Hero

What happens if you open the launcher ?

Best thing to do if you have launcher troubles is this:

Resetting the game to factory settings without reinstalling

Many problems can be pinpointed on custom content or corruption in your user data. There's an easy way to reset your game to factory settings without going through the ordeal of reinstalling the whole thing (Path can be different depending on your OS):

• Make a backup of theSims3 folder in Documents\ElectronicArts to an external drive.
  • Rename your theSims3 folder in Documents\ElectronicArts to Sims3_Backup
  • Start the game or the launcher (All your save games will be gone, your options will be reset to factory settings and all your store content will be gone. Not to worry, it's all still there in that backup folder).
  • A new Sims3 folder will have been recreated in your documents\electronicArts folder. Some folders might be missing for they are only created when you need them.
  • Quit the game and the launcher
  • Move the options.ini file from your backup folder to your newly created folder in documents\electronicArts\thesims3 to recover your graphic/sounds/gameplay options
  • Go to programs(x86)\electronicarts\thesims3 and make sure you DO NOT have a mods folder there. If you do, move that to your desktop. Also make sure that there is no resource.cfg on that level (there will be on in your game\bin folder, don't delete that one).
  • Repeat above step for every expansion you have.
  • Start your game. You will need to start a new game for the other one is still missing right now.
  • See if your error is gone. If so, you can put starting the folders back, starting with your saves. Check your game after every folder.
  • This file UserPresets.package is all your custom styles you created in game, so you need to copy that one back as well.
  • The files PassportData.package and ChallengeData.package contain your SimPort and Achievements progress. Make sure to put back.
  • The folder Collections contains your collections. Make sure to put that back.
  • If you had a mods folder in your programs folder, don't put it back. Custom content does not go there any more.
  • If you find a mods folder in your documents folder, make sure you only put the stuff back that you know to be compatible
  • ALL custom content can potentially cause problems. If you found out which folder is causing problems, put your stuff back in groups or one by one until you find the guilty party.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 2 of 2 (1,336 Views)

All Replies

Re: I Cant Open the sims 3 launcher

Hero

What happens if you open the launcher ?

Best thing to do if you have launcher troubles is this:

Resetting the game to factory settings without reinstalling

Many problems can be pinpointed on custom content or corruption in your user data. There's an easy way to reset your game to factory settings without going through the ordeal of reinstalling the whole thing (Path can be different depending on your OS):

• Make a backup of theSims3 folder in Documents\ElectronicArts to an external drive.
  • Rename your theSims3 folder in Documents\ElectronicArts to Sims3_Backup
  • Start the game or the launcher (All your save games will be gone, your options will be reset to factory settings and all your store content will be gone. Not to worry, it's all still there in that backup folder).
  • A new Sims3 folder will have been recreated in your documents\electronicArts folder. Some folders might be missing for they are only created when you need them.
  • Quit the game and the launcher
  • Move the options.ini file from your backup folder to your newly created folder in documents\electronicArts\thesims3 to recover your graphic/sounds/gameplay options
  • Go to programs(x86)\electronicarts\thesims3 and make sure you DO NOT have a mods folder there. If you do, move that to your desktop. Also make sure that there is no resource.cfg on that level (there will be on in your game\bin folder, don't delete that one).
  • Repeat above step for every expansion you have.
  • Start your game. You will need to start a new game for the other one is still missing right now.
  • See if your error is gone. If so, you can put starting the folders back, starting with your saves. Check your game after every folder.
  • This file UserPresets.package is all your custom styles you created in game, so you need to copy that one back as well.
  • The files PassportData.package and ChallengeData.package contain your SimPort and Achievements progress. Make sure to put back.
  • The folder Collections contains your collections. Make sure to put that back.
  • If you had a mods folder in your programs folder, don't put it back. Custom content does not go there any more.
  • If you find a mods folder in your documents folder, make sure you only put the stuff back that you know to be compatible
  • ALL custom content can potentially cause problems. If you found out which folder is causing problems, put your stuff back in groups or one by one until you find the guilty party.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 2 (1,337 Views)