How do I re-install "Save" files so I don't start a game from scratch after reloading the Sims 3 program?

by fireflyskf

Original Post

How do I re-install "Save" files so I don't start a game from scratch after reloading the Sims 3 program?

★ Novice

After reinstalling Sims 3, the program does not read my previous "Save" games which I saved prior to having to re-install the Sims 3 game. I've read many of the blogs and have moved the saved files into the new "Save" folder but this is not working. The program keeps powering up with a "New" game and does not recognize my saved games. Your help would be immensly appreciated!!!

Message 1 of 8 (16,538 Views)

Re: How do I re-install "Save" files so I don't start a game from scratch after reloading the Sims 3 program?

★★★★ Guide

How old are these save files? Do they end in .backup or .sims3? And are you certain you've put them back in the right place? Have you uninstalled or installed any EPs or SPs since the saves were made? Have you done any patch updates since the saves were made?

Message 2 of 8 (16,517 Views)

Re: How do I re-install "Save" files so I don't start a game from scratch after reloading the Sims 3 program?

★ Novice

The Saves were 2 days old. I had to do a System Restore to my computer for another reason, but before that I saved all of the contents in the Sims 3 folder, including the Save folder. I used those files to replace anything the newly loaded Sims 3 program installed.

I do not know where the right place is, nor all the files that should be re-loaded. I tried to copy the entire Sims 3 folder over the newly loaded one but it kept telling me I needed Administrative privileges so, instead, I just copied and pasted files related to the Save folder. Any additional instruction in this regard would be appreciated. I have both the .backup and .sims3 folders saved from two days ago. BTW, the saves were put on a separate, portable, back up hardrive and have been unaltered.

The Saves, though, were made right after I installed 3 EPs, and currently I do not have any of the 3 EPs loaded yet. So maybe you're saying I have a configuration issue and need to have all of the same EPs installed before the program will recognize the Save versions? As for patch updates, I assume you mean updates to the program itself. Yes, the program was updated as frequently as it was suggested to do so. But, so far I have not done any updates to the recently reloaded CD of Sims 3. Perhaps this is another issue? Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 8 (16,511 Views)

Hero (Retired)

go to the documents folder look for ea folder open that the next folder is thesims 3 open that then the files should be as follows

content patch

currentgame.sims3

custommusic

dcbackup

dccache

downloads

exports

iga cache

installed worlds

libary

recorded videos

saves <------------------this is the one you want to find open that

screenshots plus a few more

(if you have a save folder witin a save folder the game does not know what to look for )

go to  your portable back up find the saves folder open it for example if one of your save game is called SSV1.sims3 copy that and paste it into the other open save folder IF on the other hand if your save game just has SSV1.backup then you will need to rename to SSV1.sims3 and place that in the open save folder once that is done close all the folders

and if you do not have all your EP installed when the save game launches to play you may get a message missing objects-replaced that just means the game can't find the missing ep item and replaces them with base game items the same with any clothing or hair from other ep's so if asim had hair from late night but it's not reninstalled it will give the sim hair from what you do have installed

Message 4 of 8 (16,506 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you. I've copied before, as you've instructed, the Save file(s) from the portable drive numerous times, except each time I've deleted the original contents of the Save folder and replaced with what was in the portable drive, including the .backup file. I will then, per your instructions, only copy from the portable drive one file, which will replace the file with the same name showing in the Save folder (so, I will delete that one because I assume there can't be two files with the same name "Sunset Valley.sims3"). Then I'll see how it goes. Thanks

Message 5 of 8 (16,496 Views)

★ Novice

I tried to do what you instructed and the program does not acknowledge the older game. In fact, I started a new game last night called "Sunset Valley 2" and there is no record of that game in the "Save" folder either. It's like this particular folder is not relevant to the installation, the program is going somewhere else to save and withdraw saved games.  Our Electronic Arts folder, btw, is in the Program Files (x86) folder. Is there another folder the game would install in?

Message 6 of 8 (16,490 Views)

Hero (Retired)

that is a possiabilty check the documents folder ?

Message 7 of 8 (16,487 Views)

★ Novice

Yes, that's where it is! I found a Sims3/Saves folder in "Documents" and it had the newest game I started - Sunset Valley2, including a back up! So, should I add to this folder my old Sunset Valley file from my portable drive? What I see in the Documents Library, though, are two files that have the same type of name as the folder names under "Saves" -- Sunset Valley2.sims3 and Sunset Valley2.sims3.backup. These are files, though, not folders that contain files, as is the case with the Saves folder. Anyway, I tried copying the folder into that Documents/Saves folder and it did not pull up my older game as an option to run. Any help at this point would be appreciated.

Message 8 of 8 (16,484 Views)