[HOW TO] DxDiag - PC Only

by crinrict

Original Post

[HOW TO] DxDiag - PC Only

[ Edited ]
Hero

Sometimes it's important for the helpers to check your DxDiag. This contains all important information about your computer and helps identify certain problems.

Not everything in the file is equally important and if you don't want your computer name to show, just xxxx that out.

These instructions are valid for all games as it's your computers specs and has nothing to do with a specific game.

How to gather your DxDiag

Microsoft Windows XP

1. Click the Start button on the Windows Taskbar.
  2. Select Run.
  3. Type dxdiag in the available text field.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Click Save All Information and save the content to a text file on your desktop

Windows Vista/Win 7

1. Click On Start
  2. Type dxdiag into Search Box
  3. Program opens
  4. Click Save All Information and save the content to a text file on your desktop

Windows 8

1. Make sure you are on the tiled screen
  2. Type DxDiag and hit enter
  3. Program should open
  4. Click Save All Information and save the content to a text file on your desktop

How to post here

Wait until the diagnostics are done and then click on Save all Information. This will create a text file. You can edit that text file to remove all personal information such as your computers name and then attach the file directly to your post buy using Attach file at the bottom of the post.

Minimum Info you should post and why

When you open the DxDiag file with a text editor, you see multiple sections. Please post the following sections in full

System Information

Contains all info about your CPU, RAM and operating system. It's ok to xxxx out your computer's name if you don't want that to show.

DxDiag Notes

Only if there's a problem showing

Display Devices

Very important. Shows information about your graphic card, drivers and memory it has.

Sound Devices

If you have sound issues, post this too

Disk & DVD/CD-ROM Drives

Shows the free space you have on your disc. Important info. If the drive space on your drive is low (< 20 GB) that could be your issue right there.

System Devices

Shows what other devices you have installed. Especially important if you're unsure whether you have a switchable graphic card.

Diagnostics

If you have Win 8.1 and above, the DxDiag shows errors that occurred on your computer. These can be very useful to pinpoint your issue, so please include those too.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 1 (133,170 Views)