Big problems with Grandma's Canning Station. Please help!

by bae288474f321b50

Original Post

Big problems with Grandma's Canning Station. Please help!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

Some users on the official forums have noticed a problem with the jams, preserves, and condiments  that can be made using Grandma's Canning Station from the store.

The jams (etc.) lose their description when stored on a lot that is placed from the library. The same thing happens if they are in the inventory of a sim that is placed from the library or from the temporary sidebar used to relocate families via edit town, or when they are taken on vacation using the WA travel system. This seems to happen every time without exception, and with no obvious possible workaround. 

- The broken jams (etc.) appear correctly when placed in the world, except that no name, description, or price can be viewed for them. In inventories, they appear as totally empty inventory slots, and they cannot be stacked.

- The issue occurs in both modded and unmodded games.

- The jam has no price displayed, but when I sell it my household is credited 70 simoleons. However, another user reported that he couldn't sell his jam.

- One user reported that while the bugged jam was in her sims' inventories, they could not interact with one another socially. The social menus started working normally again once she deleted the jams. I have not been able to replicate this in my own game, but surely this alone is a sign that something bad is going on.

We would like to know what causes these problems, and whether they might lead to or be a sign of something even more serious, such as save file corruption. Many thanks!

Message 1 of 4 (1,402 Views)

Re: Grandma's Canning Station and game corruption?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I just wanted to add that multiple people have now reported the bugged interactions from having the jams in their sims' inventories. 

So we know that we should avoid storing the jam in inventories, but still are keen to find out whether having it in the game at all could be damaging.

There are no obvious, immediate effects on gameplay (outside of the inventory issue), but the missing description and the inventory issue make me wonder whether the jams could be one of those things (like messing around with the in-game world editor too much) that doesn't have an easy-to-spot impact but that does mess up your save in the long term. If that's the case, I'd rather know so that I can take them out of my game, and avoid uploading them with my creations. Of course that would make the canning station useless to me, but I wouldn't mind cutting my losses there if we could just get a clear explanation.

Any response would be really appreciated. I've tried the official Sims forums and Mod the Sims as well, but no one seems to know and this is clearly a big problem. Many thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 4 (1,330 Views)

Hero

I don't think anyone here knows either, sorry.

Did you check Nraas ? Even if twallan is gone, the users there probably know best what's going on.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 4 (1,324 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Thanks for the response, Crinrict.

I hadn't thought of Nraas. Will try there next! Standard smile

Message 4 of 4 (1,318 Views)