Re: [FAQ] There was an error during Startup

by crinrict

Original Post

[FAQ] There was an error during Startup

[ Edited ]
Hero

Problem

When starting the launcher, I get the error message: There was an error during startup. See the Log for more details

Cause

The most common reason for this issue are left over registry keys from uninstalling the base game or any of the EPs. Run CCleaner (only registry cleaner and do backup your registry) to remove those and if it still doesn't work, do a manual search either for Sims 3 or by going through the list of keys here: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall

In some cases a reset of the user files helps as well. Try that before reinstalling

If this doesn't help, try the suggestions below.

Suggestions

• Reinstall Origin
  • Solution by Georgia82 for digital downloads (be aware that the patch linked is not the newest. Use the patch here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Patch-1-67/td-p/67858/)
  • Make sure your graphic drivers are up-to-date
  • Bypass the Launcher and start your game directly
  • Right click on the launcher icon and start your launcher as administrator
  • Make sure your Microsoft .net Framework is current
  • Put in the base game DVD or start the game from the base game launcher icon instead of the addon
  • If you uninstalled an EP make sure there are no left-over keys in your Registry. For information on Registry Keys, check this guide: Manually Uninstalling The Sims 3
  • Uninstall CAW and CAP and try to start the launcher. If that works, redownload the tools and reinstall them after cleaning your registry with CCleaner.
  • If you manually moved the game or part of it (don't do that), the references in the Windows Registry are messed up. Reinstall your game.
  • If you installed your game on an external drive, there might be a problem with the drive letter. Make sure that your drive has a fixed drive letter.

This error often occurs after patching, so make sure you always backup your user files in documents\electronicarts\thesims3 before patching.

------------------------------------

Did this FAQ help you with your issue ? If so, please consider pressing the XP button

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 56 (155,892 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello.I have this problem and I did all from the above. I am really mad about this. My sims 3 won't start. What should I do?

Message 2 of 56 (154,934 Views)

Hero

Try uninstalling again, using these instructions: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_Uninstall and don't put the folder in documents back until your positve that it works.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 56 (154,921 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Hello. For me the Startup works fine, but the problem is that when I started the game and opened the menu for the households etc, there's a text saying that the game disc is not in... I've tried to restart the game but it doesn't work... What should I do?

Message 4 of 56 (154,873 Views)

Hero

Please open your own thread with as much info as possible.

Are you using download or DVD version, which disc does it want, etc.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 5 of 56 (154,859 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I did everything you said and my gives me the same error message everytime it updates or when i install the sims3 pets

Message 6 of 56 (154,340 Views)

Hero

ATM I don't have any other solutions to this problem then the ones listed.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 7 of 56 (154,326 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

What it this: CAW and CAP

Message 8 of 56 (154,117 Views)

Hero

CAW = Create a World

CAP = Create a Pattern

Those are both free tools availble on the official Sims 3 Website.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 56 (154,085 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am having a similar issue where when i click the play button on the launcher nothing happens. Please help.

Message 10 of 56 (153,610 Views)