[FAQ] Lost and broken DVDs and missing serial codes - What to do ?

by crinrict

Original Post

[FAQ] Lost and broken DVDs and missing serial codes - What to do ?

[ Edited ]
Hero

Lost/broken DVD but still have the serial code

With your serial code, you are eligible for the download version of your game. You can download it through Origin and redeem your code.

Instructions on how to do this can be found here: Redeem Your Serial Code in Origin

Make sure to uninstall the DVD version and install the download version instead.

Finding your Registration / Serial Code

If you still have the game on your computer you can follow these steps to find your serial code from your registry (PC only). Credits of to Carl's Sims 3 Guide

You need to be signed in as an Administrator first.  Windows may require your permission to open the
Registry Editor and if so, just click on yes.

1. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and type regedit in the search bar and press Enter. 
  2. Click on 'File' at the top left of the window that opens then click on Export.
  3. Choose a location and name for the file as this will be your backup registry file.
  4. Click Save.
  5. This backup is created just as a precaution.

Now to find your serial codes for each specific EP or SP installed on your computer:

1. Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE folder.
  2. Expand the SOFTWARE folder (Wow6432Node for 64 bit systems)
  3. Expand the Electronic Arts folder.
  4. Expand the Sims folder
  5. Expand the EP or SP you need the code for
  6. Click on ergc and in the box to the right under 'Data' you will see the code
  7. Write it down somewhere save
  8. Repeat above steps for each EP

---------------------

Instructions for Macs can be found hereFinding your serial key using Terminal

-------------------

Finding the code on Origin

If you registered the game on thesims3.com OR bought it on Origin, the serial code can be found in the myGames tab on the Origin client. Download the client from here http://origin.com/download, log in with your data and go to the MyGames tab. Hover over the game and find the i

The product code listed there is your serial number (it can be different from your original one if the game was bought before Origin came out)

No access to the serial code

If you lost your serial code and don't have the game installed on an old computer, you need to contact Customer Support.

They can be found here: https://help.ea.com/contact-us

You have the option to contact them by mail, phone or Live Chat. Make sure you have a game, a category and a platform selected for the options to become available.

For Live Chat, make sure to choose US as your country.

If you registered your game to your account, it should be easy to get the code. If not, they'll give you a new code if you can proof that you own the game. See this: Obtaining a Replacement Registration Code

------------------------------------

Did this FAQ help you with your issue ? If so, please consider pressing the XP button

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 98 (521,194 Views)

Re: [FAQ] Lost and broken DVD's and missing serial codes - What to do ?

★★★ Newbie

Help me EA !!!!! I spent 30 pounds on buying Sims 3 n now I lost the serial number and it is not installed on my new computer ! I still have the DVD that has a different code on it but its not the serial number can this help u identify my serial number?  What is the email address for EA ?

Message 2 of 98 (520,522 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Do you still have your pamphlet? Because in it you get contact details for certain countries in case of your game being damaged etc.

You can contact EA on this website though. Why don't you just do that? 

Message 3 of 98 (520,487 Views)

Re: [FAQ] Lost and broken DVDs and missing serial codes - What to do ?

★★★ Newbie

The Best thing to do is when you first get your game Take a perment maker and write the Serial Code on the CD.  That way you can't lose it.

Message 4 of 98 (520,342 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Hi,
EA won't help you at all. I tried emailing them and all I got was a 'Thanks for contacting us!" message.

Message 5 of 98 (520,166 Views)

Hero

There are both kinds of representatives. Some help you, others don't.

DId you try live chat as well ? If so, just try again. If you get the same person, disconnect and try again. Be friendly but firm. 

Email is most useless, I have to agree. Last time it took them 4 month to fix my issue.

If that does not work either, call them (don't know the number for the US). 

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 98 (520,164 Views)

★★★ Newbie

My friend gave me her disk for Sims 3 earlier in the week but sense she bought it when it first came out she has lost the phamphlet and the case. I need help because now I cant download it on my Laptop... Is there any way i can still download it or do I have to buy the game myself? I really rather not buy it sense I have a limited income, Please help.

Message 7 of 98 (519,605 Views)

★★★ Newbie

my Sims3 pets disk is lost and wont let me into the game. what do i do?!

Message 8 of 98 (519,013 Views)

Hero

Read the first post ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 98 (518,965 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I found EA's customer support very helpful. I had lost my serial code for Pets and contacred them though Live Chat, if you've registered the game on The Sims 3 website, then they can get it for you. All I had to provide was my DOB and Persona. Even though the DOB was wrong (came to conclusion of a typo on sign-up) the advisor gave me the serial code.

I recommend the Live Chat, it's a quick way to get support, and 9 times out of 10 they're very helpful.

Message 10 of 98 (517,768 Views)