[FAQ] Game Crashes (CTD)

by crinrict

Original Post

[FAQ] Game Crashes (CTD)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Please do not post your crash issues in this thread. Make your own, giving as much info as possible (including your DxDiag). Crashes are very individual and it's best to help everyone in their own thread (see below)

Problem

My game crashes to the desktop without a warning

Causes & Solutions

There are many causes to this issue and so are the solutions. You can try the following suggestions. Make sure to save your game often under a different name and keep Backups of your stuff.

When you are posting about a crash, make sure to mention WHEN it crahes and if it's reproducable at the same time.

• Disable Custom Content. If you are using a Mods folder, make sure to remove that.
  • Make sure your graphic drivers are current (Intel HD Graphic Drivers)
  • Bypass the launcher and start the game through the ts3w.exe which can be found in programs(x86)\theSims3\Game\Bin
  • BAD CC: Crash: The listed Custom Content is know to crash your game. Remove it.
  • Mods can crash your game if used improperly. Make sure to follow the instructions if you want to use them.
  • The Basement and Platform tool can crash your game under certain circumstances, expecially if a pool is involved.
  • Corrupt save games can cause crashes. Try saving your Sims to the bin and move them to a new hood.
  • If you have crashes on saving the game after building, it might be connected to certain objects on the lot (rain drops, wild flowers, space rocks ....). Try bulldozing the lot and replace the grid (Details)
  • Server Connections Issue (SimPort, social features)
  • Play in windowed mode
  • If you have only DirectX 10 or 11 on your system, try installing DirectX 9 as well
  • For Vista / Win 7 Users: Right-click on the shortcut/exe file, choose properties - compatibility and change the following setting (these are translation, the actual option might be called differently)
    • Run in Windows XP (ServicePack 2) compatibility mode
    • Turn off visual design
    • Turn off desktop-design
    • Run as administrator
  • Large savegames require lots of RAM. Upgrade to a 64-bit operating system and 4-6 GB of RAM.
  • Turn off all background programs
  • Lower your graphic settings
  • Defective hardware
  • Clean out your computer (especially the ventilator)
  • Insufficient hardware

----------------------------------------------------------

Reporting Crashing

If you have tried all of the above and your game is still crashing, please open your own thread. The first post should contain the following info:

• What is your operating system
  • At what point does your game crash ? Any regularities ?
  • How long can you usually play ?
  • Which EP/SPs do you have installed ?
  • Are you using custom content and mods in your game ?
  • It's also good to include your DxDiag

Disclaimer: Some of the solutions above make changes on your system and are better be done by advanced users. You try everything at your own risk. Neither EA nor myself can be held responsible for any damage done to the game or the your system.

------------------------------------

Did this FAQ help you with your issue ? If so, please consider pressing the XP button

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 2 (214,400 Views)

Re: Game Grashes (CTD)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Hey Crinrict,

A few things you can add:

- User Access Control --> Due to permission to save settings under My Documents being blocked.

1. Open User Accounts by clicking the Start button , clicking Control Panel, clickingUser Accounts and Family Safety (or clicking User Accounts, if you are connected to a network domain), and then clicking User Accounts.

2. Click Turn User Account Control on or off If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3. Select the Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer check box to turn on UAC, or clear the check box to turn off UAC, and then click OK.

- Onboard sound card --> Disable all sound in the game and attempt again (Usually seen when the game CTD's after creating your sim.)

- Hardware Acceleration (almost never applicable)

Windows Vista & Windows 7.

1 Click Start / Control Panel / Appearance and Personalization.

2 Under Personalization, click Adjust screen resolution.

3 On the Display Settings dialog, click the Advanced Settings... button.

4 On the monitor properties dialog, click theTroubleshoot tab.

5 Click the Change settings button.

6 On the security dialog, click Continue.

7 Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the third notch.

8 Click OK.

9 Restart Windows.

Windows XP and Windows 2000.

1 Right-click the desktop, then on the context menu, click Properties.

2 Click the Settings tab, then click Advanced.

3 Click the Troubleshoot tab.

4 Move the Hardware Acceleration slider to the third notch.

5 Click OK, then Close.

6 Close and restart the player.

Message 2 of 2 (213,753 Views)