Expansion pack.

by Latsowaslonely

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Expansion pack.

★★ Novice

Recently, I got a Sims 3 game on STEAM, and it works fine, but when I try to add an expansion pack, It would not let me. Mid-download, it would stop. A pop-up shows up with the words: "ThIs requires an installed copy of Sims 3. Please install The Sims 3 before installing this product." Does this mean I have tp get a CD copy of The Sims 3? If so, why?

Message 1 of 5 (398 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Expansion pack.

Hero (Retired)

@Latsowaslonely   The pack installer is not finding the base game because Steam installs the game differently then the Origin version. You could use the Steam game code and redeem the game in Origin. There might be a way to install the packs in the Steam version but you will have to ask Steam support or inquire in the Steam forums how to.

View in thread

Message 2 of 5 (419 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@Latsowaslonely   The pack installer is not finding the base game because Steam installs the game differently then the Origin version. You could use the Steam game code and redeem the game in Origin. There might be a way to install the packs in the Steam version but you will have to ask Steam support or inquire in the Steam forums how to.

Message 2 of 5 (420 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I now have the Origin version installed, but now it does not accept the CD key. I have the physical CD's of the expansion pack of Generation and World Adventures. Do I have to buy them online, even if I have the physical CD's?

Message 3 of 5 (343 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Latsowaslonely What error do you get when you enter the codes? The discs are generic and the code on the discs is dated. You don't "buy" the game - what you pay for is a license to use the software. And that license is in the form of an activation code. This code needs to be entered to activation your installation - either through the installation procedure or redeeming the code. Once you have redeemed the code(s) those codes are locked to the account in use at that time. When I bought Fallout 4 I got a disc I never used and a code I had to enter in Steam to activate the game. I entered to code in Steam and got the digital download version. I now don't need a code for a new computer or a disc to install Fallout 4. All I need is my Steam account. Origin works the same way. Did you buy the packs from Steam? If so there should be a code on Steam you can use on Origin.

hth

Message 4 of 5 (328 Views)

★★ Novice

I was told that the CD code for the game was "invalid". I did not buy anything on Steam other than the base game. I went ahead to play it on Origin, but when it asked for the CD key, it, like I said, called it "invalid." I apologize for causing more trouble.

Message 5 of 5 (323 Views)