Re: Error Code 12 stopping game from saving

by Noyemee

Original Post

Error Code 12 stopping game from saving

★★ Novice

I've been trying to save my game but as it's trying an error comes up that says "An unexpected error has occurred while saving: Error Code 12. Please consult the readme for details" 

Of course the readme file is missing so I can't look at that. So what's the problem and how do I fix it?

Message 1 of 7 (34,422 Views)

Hero

See info on error 12 here: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Save-Errors-Error-12-13-15-16/td-p/652/jump-to/first-unread-...

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 7 (34,305 Views)

★★★ Newbie
*U must have World Adventure expansion to use this method

I did other methods and none worked. What worked for me was, after getting the error 12 code, use smart phone and travel to china, france or egypt. When arrived there, save. It worked for me.

Lost 1.3k of my simoleons for travelling but its so worth it rather than having to lose my progress.
Message 3 of 7 (25,888 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@Noyemee wrote:
*U must have World Adventure expansion to use this method

I did other methods and none worked. What worked for me was, after getting the error 12 code, use smart phone and travel to china, france or egypt. When arrived there, save. It worked for me.

Lost 1.3k of my simoleons for travelling but its so worth it rather than having to lose my progress.

Thanks Same happened to meAngel

Message 4 of 7 (25,285 Views)

★★★ Novice

I'm curious, I just tried this and it worked. Do you know why that is? Thanks!

Message 5 of 7 (16,663 Views)

@Lostball85  Error 12 is an out of resources condition, usually (but not always) caused by the game hitting its RAM limit.  Saving takes more memory than regular gameplay, so even if TS3 hasn't crashed due to a lack of RAM, it may be too close to the limit to be able to properly save.

One of the reasons that a game may be close to or over the RAM limit is if you're playing in a large, complicated, and/or very progressed world.  It takes a lot of resources to keep track of all the sims, and as your play session goes on, memory use will only rise.  However, the vacation worlds are small, both in terms of map size and population, and the sims who live there have not progressed much in terms of skills or relationships.  So those worlds need much less memory to run.  This could be the difference between the game having enough memory to save and not.

However, the actual travel transition also requires more memory, as the second world is loaded while the dat of the first one is still in RAM, and it's surprising that TS3 didn't crash when you traveled.  I'd still worry that your save lost some data, which can happen when the game is over the memory limit for even a moment.  You could be looking at a corrupt save, or a sim that can't travel back home again.

I'd highly recommend reverting to a backup save, from before traveling, if at all possible.  Even if you don't have one, the game keeps the files from the second to last time you saved.  In Saves inside your TS3 game folder (in Documents), you'll see a folder with the name of your current save and a .backup extension on the end.  (So if your save is SunsetValley, its folder will be SunsetValley.sims3, and the backup is SunsetValley.sims3.backup.)  Delete the .backup extension and rename the save (i.e. SunsetValley1.sims3), and the backup will be available to load from the Main Menu.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 6 of 7 (16,655 Views)

★★ Novice

It has worked. You saved hours of my gameplay. Thank you!

Message 7 of 7 (9,490 Views)