Re: [Error Analysis] Pressing PLAY does nothing. Game won't start at all

by crinrict

Original Post

Accepted Solution

[Error Analysis] Pressing PLAY does nothing. Game won't start at all

[ Edited ]
Hero

I'm trying to mark any solutions in this thread as solution now so you can check them out.

There will be mulitple solutions and not every one of them applies to you. It depends on your OS and many other things.

So far:

- MAC Users: I don't know what's going on. Please check with the official forums at thesims.com (US). They have a mac forum. You'll get better help there cause we users at the AnswerHQ, don't know much about macs

- Windows 8 Users: There's a known conflict with bitDefender. You HAVE to turn it off while playing

-------------------------------------------------

Since many of you guys seem to have the problem where nothing at all happens when you press the play button or use the ts3w.exe (or any of the EP exe files) to bypass the launcher, I would like to see if we can find any common determinators.

At this point, my suspision is that there's a program that causes a conflict with the game or SecuROM. There is a known conflict for bitDefender on Windows 8 and it has the same symptoms.

If you have this issue, please answer the questions below

1. What is your operating system ?
  2. When did it start happening ? Installation of an EP ? Patch ? Windows Update ?
  3. Do you use the download version, the dvd or a mix of both. If it's download, is it Steam or Origin
  4. Do you have any other programs open while you try launching the game. If so, please state which ones
  5. What's your AntiVirus program ?
  6. What's your firewall (if you don't use any, it's most probably the Windows built in one) ?
  7. Do you have any kind of DVD/CD Emulator installed, like Roxio, Nero, Alcohol or anything along these lines.
  8. Does bypassing the launcher work: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps/td-p/714/ ?
  9. Anything else you like to share

Maybe we can find out what's going on.

EDIT: papabear623 has made a post how to check on event view which file is messing up. Could everyone try that and check if they have a similar report as papabear623. Thanks

-------

drowsyfantasy found that it was malware/adware for them. Scan your computer for bad stuff and remove.

--------

Helpers: If you see anyone with this issue, could you please send them to this thread.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 1 of 255 (32,099 Views)

Accepted Solution

[ Edited ]
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

We went through your accounts and did tests on several computers, both Windows and Mac. We couldn't find a common denominator for this issue and think that what we see here are several different issues that will have to be solved individually. I will therefore close this thread.

There are several things you can do to fix your game yourself and I will suggest some of them here.

1. Be patient!

It can take a while for the launcher to come up and for the game to start and load, especially if you have a lot of expansions and stuff packs installed. You should also keep in mind that it can take even longer if you have an older computer or if you have other programs open at the same time. Skype, messenger programs, or even your browser can slow your computer down also.

2. Update your drivers

It is very important that you update your drivers on a regular basis. Old drivers can mess up a lot of things on your computer and can be the reason for your problems with the game. Updating your drivers is one of the first things you should try when you have an issue with your computer. Please read here how to update your drivers:

Finding Devices and Updating Drivers

3. Update your game

Always play with the latest game version. If you are not able to update the game through your launcher, please update it manually:

Current Patch - 1.63 - Manual links and more

4. Try it without mods and custom content

You should always make sure that your mods and custom content are not the source of the issue.

5. Make sure that no programs on your computer are in conflict with Origin or your game

Usually this is either your anti-virus program or your firewall or both. Read more about that here: 

Programs that may cause conflicts with Origin

6. Try the common troubleshooting steps

You can find guides for a lot of issues on Answer HQ. Try the common troubleshooting steps like Data Execution Prevention (DEP), Factory Reset, and Clearing Game Cache.

[READ FIRST] Known issues, guides and FAQs

If none of the above steps help you, please open a separate thread for your issue. Make sure that the helpers have as much information as possible about the problems you see. Explain in detail what happens and mention in detail what you already tried to avoid that a helper suggests that again.

We also have a great guide about how to report your issue best here: [READ FIRST] Help us Helpers to Help you

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png

View in thread

Message 255 of 255 (7,510 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie
Are you downloading anything on the sims and its not showing it? Did you try turning your computer/laptop off? This happened to me before and I just turned off my computer and started it up again.
Message 2 of 255 (31,944 Views)

Hero

Giving this a bump Standard smile

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 3 of 255 (31,934 Views)

★★ Novice

Having similar issues, here's my info:

1. Windows 7

2. I've been having issues with connecting to Origin for a few months, but I never thought anything of it because I never really needed it to connect. But when I bought Ambitions the other night and tried installing, I was told I had to update to the most recent version of the base game - which is when I noticed a real issue with updating, so I did it manually. Ever since I installed the 1.48 patch, the play-button issue has been happening.

3. I use the download version, which I bought through Amazon instead of Origin directly. It's meant to be used with Origin, though.

4. The only other one I have open is Chrome, and this has never been an issue before.

5. Right now I'm using Sophos anti-virus, before I was using AVG, and both have yielded similar results.

6. My firewall is the default Windows firewall.

7. No emulators.

Message 4 of 255 (31,931 Views)

★★ Novice

• Windows 7
  • You know, it's been so long I don't really remember, but I think it was Ambitions?
  • All my EP's are disk
  • Always Sticky Notes, and sometimes Chrome
  • Avast
  • Windows and Avast
  • No emulators
  • Sometimes I can't even get the window to pop up, but usually clicking on it two to five times gets it open, if not left click always works. Same with the start   button. Except for the left click part. 
Message 5 of 255 (31,925 Views)

Hero

@kyurois: What Window ? The launcher ? Does bypasing the launcher work for you ?

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/FAQ-Troubleshooting-Steps/td-p/714/

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 6 of 255 (31,917 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Bumping this as somebody else just had problem. It's not a common problem but I'll see if we can get it in the FAQ section. Sorting through the search results doesn't exactly make my day. 

Message 7 of 255 (31,901 Views)

★★★ Novice

1. Oerating system is WIndows 8

2. Started happening when I installed seasons and latest 1.50 patch 

3. I used the disc verison didn't work so then I was told by ea to uninstall all eps I had and simply install them and use origin

4. I do not have any other programs running when I launch the game

5. Norton 360

6 Norton 360

7 I do not have any DVD/CD emulator

8. I have tried bypassing the launcher but has just did the same thing as it would have if I used the launcher, the launcher goes away once play is clicked looks like it is loading from the loading symbol next to my cursor but does nothing and stays on desktop.

9. I have even used DEP to try and get rid of the issue but it has not worked, I have tried using compatability mode on both the launcher exe and the game exe aswell where you bypass the launcher, and the compatability mode I have used is windows 7 for both, didn't work then xp for both didn't work. I do not have any other antivirus of any kind except Norton 360 and the Windows antivirus is stopped by norton. 

Message 8 of 255 (31,888 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Did you try turning off Norton to see if it starts then ?

Do I get this right that you had the disc version and had the same issue (no downloaded versions at all) and then EA made you download the download Versions and you have the same error ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 9 of 255 (31,876 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

1.Window's 8

2.I hadn't played on it for a while, but I remember there being a update on the Sims 3 Launcher.

3. I use the discs.

4. Sometimes skype.

5.Malware

6.Window's Firewall.

7. Dameon Tools.

8. No

9. I lauch the task manager and it is slotted it the background processes. Also my computer doesn't seem to see the disc.

Message 10 of 255 (31,851 Views)