Doesn't detect video card. Can't change settings and my town is blank.

by AndyMoney

Original Post

Doesn't detect video card. Can't change settings and my town is blank.

★★★★ Novice

Hi,

I reinstalled Sims 3 on my new computer.  When I started the game for the first time, it said it cannot figure out my graphics card and I may need to manually adjust my settings.  However, anytime I try to change my settings, the changes won't save.  Every time I open the settings page, they are set back to the lowest possible.  When I start the game, everything in the town view is white, there are no textures.

I have windows 7 64 bit and reinstalling do anything.   Any help would be appericated. 

Message 1 of 25 (22,434 Views)

Re: Doesn't detect video card. Can't change settings and my town is blank.

[ Edited ]
Hero

Do any other options stick ? Like if you change the age span or anything else in the options ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 25 (22,354 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Yeah, it seems that only the detail settings are locked.   I am able to change the screen resolution and refresh rate without a problem.

It doesn't even give me the option to change high detail lots.

Message 3 of 25 (22,348 Views)

Hero

What IS your graphic card and did you update your drivers ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.

Important Threads

Message 4 of 25 (22,345 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Actually, I take that back.  I CAN change the resolution and screen size.  I CANNOT change age progression, edge scrolling and various other options.

My video card is a GeForce GTX 580 and I updated my drivers when I started having the problem.

Message 5 of 25 (22,343 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Message 6 of 25 (22,335 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Well... That didn't work.

If it helps, all my deviceConfig says is

=== Options ===
=== Default Options ===

Shouldn't there be a bit more here?

Message 7 of 25 (22,329 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero

Yes, there should.

--

Did you try moving that file to the destop and let the game create a new one ?

---

Check this thread: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3/can-t-save-graphics-changes/m-p/448316#M25710

Someone with a similar problem.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

Important Threads

Message 8 of 25 (22,325 Views)

★ Novice

Hi I was referred to your post because I am having the same problem with Windows 8 and a GTX 660 ti that I just installed.  I updated my driver before installing the game so I am not sure it worked before.  My deviceconfig log looks just like yours.  I am going to try to roll back my drivers and see if it works.  

Message 9 of 25 (22,319 Views)

★★★★ Novice

By any chance, did you have old sims 3 files that you pulled over from another computer.  I have my old saved games in another folder and I don't know if that was causing a conflict.

Also, have you tried running in windows 7 or windows xp compatibility mode?   That didn't work for me but it seems like it worked for others. 

Message 10 of 25 (22,314 Views)