Disk Authorization Failure [Mac]

by wolfcub1992

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Disk Authorization Failure [Mac]

★ Novice

I have been having issues opening The Sims 3. I inserted my Island Paradise disk then the game launched and seemed to be working fine. As soon as the home page opened up, however, the game told me that there was a 'Disk Authorization Failure' and forced me to close it down. I have checked the disk and cleaned it to make sure that is not the issue. I also have made sure to update everything I can. The odd thing is, the game was just working beforehand, then it froze mid-gameplay, and now it refuses to open. 

I have looked here in the Answer HQ and have seen some people suggest using Origin. So, I downloaded the game onto that and hit play except Origin took me back to The Sims Game Launcher where it told me that in order to play the game I had to have a disk. I did go ahead and uninstall Island Paradise beforehand so that can't be the issue. What doesn't make sense is that if it's a "downloaded game" why would it require a CD? 

I also thought I'd note that I did download Generations and Seasons off of Amazon as well as Seasons off of Origin earlier today. Would those have any effect on why my game won't launch now? 

Any help would be appreciated as this is super frustrating! 

Message 1 of 9 (2,647 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Disk Authorization Failure [Mac]

Champion (Retired)

@wolfcub1992 wrote:

Thank you so much for the help caspinwall! 

I went through and completely uninstalled all of my Sims programs using that guide you linked. After I did that and reinstalled the base game, I got the same issue with the Disk Authorization Fail notice. I thought it could be an issue with my disk drive since it is still not working so I inserted both a music CD and a regular DVD. Both worked perfectly fine, so my disk drive is working properly. 

Since the game disks don't seem to be reading, would I be able to still play the game if I solely used Origin?

That's a shame. Perhaps the disc is damaged. You will need to cleanly uninstall it again - if you are switching from using disc to digital it is imperative that all old files are gone or the digital version may keep asking for a disc! 

As long as you register your game codes on Origin (see the directions in my earlier post), you should be able to download your Sims 3 for free and hopefully your disc woes will be in the past.

Good luck!

Caspin

View in thread

Message 4 of 9 (2,773 Views)

All Replies

Champion (Retired)

Hi

Using the digital download versions of the game from Origin is certainly a way to avoid problems with the disc authorisation error. However you need to fully and cleanly uninstall the disc-requiring version of the game before you install from Origin, otherwise it may keep asking you for a disc. See the more detailed instructions below. Once you have the game installed, consider playing in windowed mode, as you can then use "force quit" to get out of the game if it freezes. Also see the general Mac tips below, including purging RAM, as this can really help the game to run well on Mac.

If you have further problems let us know.

Caspin

Clean uninstall/reinstall instructions

When you uninstall TS3 games on your Mac using the uninstaller, the game leaves behind stray files and isn't completely removed from your computer. These files may conflict with future installations. It is best to completely remove them. BluebellFlora's website provides a guide on how to do this:

http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

After cleanly uninstalling, install the base game and patch it up to date. If you cannot update via the Launcher, download and apply the latest cumulative manual patch (called the superpatch) for Mac.

Check that your game works properly. Then install any EPs and SPs that you own, in order of release date.

To download and install games through Origin

Download and install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. If you already have Origin on your Mac but are having problems with downloading or installing games, delete the client and download a new copy (this sometimes fixes issues with downloading). The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there. For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Are you running anti-virus software or any clean-up applications? If so, disable these, as they might be deleting files that Origin needs. A fast, stable internet connection will also help you.

Tips for Mac simmers

Unfortunately a lot of TS3 players encounter problems when playing the game on their Mac. These can include crashing and freezing. A lot of these issues can be avoided or at least improved by the following measures.

Firstly, manually reset your RAM while playing. See BluebellFlora's guide on how to do this: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/resetting-ram-during-gameplay/

I restart my computer before I play TS3. Close down other things that are running in the background. The memory used as seen in Activity Monitor is at about 3GB after the restart. If I open the Launcher it goes up to around 11 GB (that's all I've done - just opened the Launcher!). At this point I reset the RAM. Then I hit play and get through the opening sequence. I then press cmd-return to put the game in windowed mode from time to time while playing (and always before saving or using CAS). That way I can keep an eye on the memory and reset RAM if necessary. Being in windowed mode also allows you to close the game using force quit if it freezes up - it's better to crash the game than your whole computer.

Second tip is to save frequently. I save at least once per sim day. Use the option to Save or Save As, rather than the combined Save and Quit.

Make sure you are patched up to date. The 1.63 patch included fixes for Mac simmers that did actually improve the stability of the game on our operating systems, so it is well worth updating to at least that level. The current patch is 1.67.

The game runs better if you switch off the memories system and disable the in-game Store and social features.

For general advice, information and tips on how to play TS3 on a Mac, read BluebellFlora's guide here: http://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac/

Message 2 of 9 (2,627 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

I went through and completely uninstalled all of my Sims programs using that guide you linked. After I did that and reinstalled the base game, I got the same issue with the Disk Authorization Fail notice. I thought it could be an issue with my disk drive since it is still not working so I inserted both a music CD and a regular DVD. Both worked perfectly fine, so my disk drive is working properly. 

Since the game disks don't seem to be reading, would I be able to still play the game if I solely used Origin?

Message 3 of 9 (2,621 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@wolfcub1992 wrote:

That's a shame. Perhaps the disc is damaged. You will need to cleanly uninstall it again - if you are switching from using disc to digital it is imperative that all old files are gone or the digital version may keep asking for a disc! 

As long as you register your game codes on Origin (see the directions in my earlier post), you should be able to download your Sims 3 for free and hopefully your disc woes will be in the past.

Good luck!

Caspin

Message 4 of 9 (2,774 Views)

★ Apprentice

I am having the same error, feel free to check out my thread as well. I performed a clean uninstall and reinstall, with zero downloaded content.. game runs fine pre-patch, and post-patch (still clean) it breaks. The patch is the issue with people who use DVD ROMS on a mac. I am now looking into perhaps downloading the game through origin and seeing if that fixes the problem.

Message 5 of 9 (2,605 Views)

★ Novice

I finally got the game working after a lot of uninstalling. I completely removed all of The Sims content on my computer then I deleted and redownloaded Origin and reinstalled the base game and expansion packs in order through that. I have also added custom content and it's working smoothly now without the hassle of using those annoying disks.

Thanks again for the help!

Message 6 of 9 (2,597 Views)

★ Apprentice

I am glad you found a solution wolfcub! I am now also downloading through origin and hoping I have the same result as you!

Message 7 of 9 (2,595 Views)

★★★ Newbie

If it makes you feel any better, I was having the same problem with my Island Paradise Expansion Pack - I followed the help tutorial provided by EA for mac users and in effect - the help solutions they offered destroyed my computer and reset everything...stupidly I don't have a back up of my system so everything is now lost...thanks EA 

Message 8 of 9 (2,372 Views)

★★★ Newbie

We are having the exact same problem. How do we correct this?

Message 9 of 9 (2,205 Views)