Custom Music doesn't play

by Kaveh300

Original Post

Custom Music doesn't play

★★★ Newbie

I had put some MP3s in the Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Custom Music folder and they all worked in game, but the next time I started the game none of them played. You would see the the stereo playing, but no sound. I already went to the options and previewed the songs. They worked there , just not in Live Mode. How do I fix this?

Message 1 of 16 (30,695 Views)

Re: Custom Music doesn't play

Community Manager

Hi kaveh300,

It may be that something is wrong with one of your MP3 files (e.g. it being corrupted or using a "bad" codec). Please try this:

• Remove all your music files from the custom music folder.
  • Move only one of them back to that folder and test if it plays in the game.
  • Test all of your files this way to identify the ones that are not playing correctly.
  • Move all "good" files back into the custom music folder.

Hope that helps!

Ursula

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 2 of 16 (30,577 Views)

★★★ Novice

Do any of your mp3 files have embedded album art? The Sims has problems with that sometimes. I had copied a bunch of mp3's to my custom folder, and a couple wouldn't play, I removed the album art from those files and later they would play in the game.

Message 3 of 16 (30,574 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

This helped me!

Message 4 of 16 (28,168 Views)

★ Apprentice

The problem I have is with wall speakers.

As soon as I take down all the wall speakers and just have the one stereo I can play my custom music again.

Not sure why.

Message 5 of 16 (23,854 Views)

Hero

As far as I remember, the wall speakers are bugged but I'm unsure if they were fixed.

Are you updated to the latest patch ?

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 6 of 16 (23,846 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

Damn! I have almost 450 of them :catmad: @up No, it's not fixed.

Message 7 of 16 (23,083 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So I was having this problem as well, all of my MP3's were at the right bit rate and what not. I recently figured out that if you have more than one stereo on the lot that your trying to play custom music, it wont work. The custom music will only with if there is only one stereo, and this includes the wall mounted speakers. At least this is what I did to fix my problem.

Message 8 of 16 (20,746 Views)

★★★ Newbie
This has happened to me, when I first put them in, they all worked and then they just began to stop working. I deleted the other stereo, turned the first one off and on again and then the song played non stop, no matter which mode I was in. I then had to close the game and the audio glitched out before finally closing.
Message 9 of 16 (17,993 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Jamaexox

try clear the cache files to stop the looping of the music

to delete the cach files go to electronic arts/the sims 3/

•CasPartCache.package
•compositorCache.package
•scriptCache.package
•simCompositorCache.package
•socialCache.package.package

it's safe to delete these files as a new ones will regenerate