Cannot open a save

by LBakeryx

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Cannot open a save

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I have saved a game with a town that I downloaded via the exchange. It works perfectly fine while I'm building stuff etc.. BUT, when I opened the main menu and tried to play, there is no icon and it just says that the save cannot be opened because maybe one of the expansions I had whilst playing it before may not be there anymore.

I haven't uninstalled any of my games since I last played the town, and I have had no problems with any other new saves except this one.

What can I do to recover it? I spent so much time building stuff etc and now that all seems to be lost if I cannot open it Frown

Also please note that everything is up to date and I also have all expansion packs except Into the Future. I am currently playing as Island Paradise.

Message 1 of 8 (863 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Cannot open a save

★★★ Novice

I found out from the creator that they were having a lot of problems with the world they created and haven't managed to fix it.

HOWEVER, I basically figured out that if you copy the meta.data file from a different save file and paste it into the save file for the world you can't open, when you play the sims you'll be able to open the world.

To find the save files for the Sims 3, follow these steps on your computer:

Go into documents > enter the electronic arts folder > enter the sims 3 folder > open the saves folder

Once you open the saves folder you will see all the saves that you have. Open one that you know works, copy the meta.data file, then paste that file into the saves folder for the world that doesn't work. Your PC should ask if you want to replace the meta.data file which is already there so click yes.

Then, when you open the Sims 3 to play it, you will be able to play the world which wasn't working before! Standard smile YAY

Ps. You have to do this every time you start the Sims 3 though :\ bit annoying because you have to make sure you remember, otherwise you'll have to quit the sims, do the steps and then load the sims again! But it's worth the effort to load a save you've been spending lots of time on!

I hope all that I just said isn't too confusing! But basically this is the solution to my original problem so I hope this will be able to help others Standard smile

View in thread

Message 7 of 8 (877 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

go to your saved games folder that save that won't open for you open it and tell me if the meta.data file is missing

Message 2 of 8 (857 Views)

★★★ Novice

Thanks for your reply.

That file is still there.

There are four files currently there:

1. TravelDB.package

2. Paradise Beach BETA 0.nhd

3. Meta.data

4. 1a5tf1l3.dat

That is everything within the folder.

Message 3 of 8 (851 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Wait, is this save game actually being played in Iselo Paradiso or in the town you downloaded? 

Message 4 of 8 (844 Views)

Hero (Retired)

great question andro Standard smile usually with a save game the  world we're in would have a 0x0 and some numbers for it (in number 2 you posted) since this is a world you download might be best to check with the creator in case it was updated and or the creator can assist an dlet us know either way tosee if we canassist further or if it gets solved by the creator again let us know as it may assist other people if this issue crops up for someone

Message 5 of 8 (840 Views)

★★★ Novice

Okay, thanks again.

I'll try to get in touch with the creator and get back to you.

Message 6 of 8 (830 Views)

★★★ Novice

I found out from the creator that they were having a lot of problems with the world they created and haven't managed to fix it.

HOWEVER, I basically figured out that if you copy the meta.data file from a different save file and paste it into the save file for the world you can't open, when you play the sims you'll be able to open the world.

To find the save files for the Sims 3, follow these steps on your computer:

Go into documents > enter the electronic arts folder > enter the sims 3 folder > open the saves folder

Once you open the saves folder you will see all the saves that you have. Open one that you know works, copy the meta.data file, then paste that file into the saves folder for the world that doesn't work. Your PC should ask if you want to replace the meta.data file which is already there so click yes.

Then, when you open the Sims 3 to play it, you will be able to play the world which wasn't working before! Standard smile YAY

Ps. You have to do this every time you start the Sims 3 though :\ bit annoying because you have to make sure you remember, otherwise you'll have to quit the sims, do the steps and then load the sims again! But it's worth the effort to load a save you've been spending lots of time on!

I hope all that I just said isn't too confusing! But basically this is the solution to my original problem so I hope this will be able to help others Standard smile

Message 7 of 8 (878 Views)

Hero (Retired)

great you found a soloution...thank you for letting us know Standard smile

Message 8 of 8 (818 Views)