Cannot Place A Lot In Edit Town Mode

by MsPrissySim

Original Post

Re: Cannot Place A Lot In Edit Town Mode

★ Apprentice

O - k. I'll try one of theirs and see what happens.

Message 11 of 23 (26,499 Views)

★ Apprentice

@wecantpickaname wrote:

@MsPrissySim wrote:

I am using one of my own created worlds as the home world. Why? Do you think it matters if I use my own or one of EA's?

Try one of EA's worlds as Crinrict suggested. The Create-A-World tool is beta meaning it's still in development. So there is a chance that your world may be the culprit. Using an EA world will help you and us figure out what the problem is and how to go about fixing it.

USING ANY OF EAs HOME WORLDS DOES NOT WORK!!! LOTS STILL DISAPPEAR IN UNI EDIT TOWN!
Message 12 of 23 (26,493 Views)

Hero

I'll need to try tomorrow.

Let you know.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 13 of 23 (26,488 Views)

★★ Novice

i have this exact same problem crinrict! i thought i was alone. I've also tried everything possible, including trying to edit town from my homeworld (lucky palms). don't misunderstand, the lots don't disappear as such, it's just that when you click on the lot you are about to place your building on, the possibility disappears like as if it's impossible or something. there doesn't seem to be any problem with placing residential lots though. btw, i doubt that you will be able to recreate this problem if you don't already have it, could you just point me towards any cheats or mods that might help instead? 

Message 14 of 23 (26,480 Views)

★★ Novice

i'm having the same problem too, but i don't think anyone will be able to help with this. it seems like a bug that not everyone will encounter. all we can do is just help each other through trial and error if you're willing:

1) try removing your mods and try it again

2) place the building in your homeworld, change it to a residential lot, save to bin, then place it in uni, then change it back to a dorm. (assuming placing res. lots work for you in uni, mine do. i just can't place community lots)

3) create a dorm in uni in residential mode, then change it to a dorm in edit town when you're done.

this is all i can think of so far, i haven't tried it out myself. but feel free to add any suggestions please Standard smile i know it sucks!

Message 15 of 23 (26,479 Views)

★★ Novice

Oh hi sweetie! i just found a fix for this and it really works yay:

LeafyJustice 

Not sure if this'll help you but it worked for me. When you have an emtpy lot whos Icon is an outline of a house (not colored in if that make sense)and you try to convert it to a comunity lot you will be unable to place a pre-made building there. But if you bulldoze the lot THEN change it to a community lot you'll be able to place pre-made businesses. Of course you'll still need to make sure you have the minimum amount of squares on the lot (example a pre-made house with 30x30 needs a lot with that amount or more). Hope this helps everyone.
Message 16 of 23 (26,475 Views)

Hero

I thought I covered that but maybe I forgot.

I didn't have a chance to test it out yet. Patch stole my time Standard smile

Waiting on the OP to come back and tell me if that last solutions helps them too.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 17 of 23 (26,473 Views)

★ Apprentice

@crinrict wrote:

I thought I covered that but maybe I forgot.

I didn't have a chance to test it out yet. Patch stole my time Standard smile

Waiting on the OP to come back and tell me if that last solutions helps them too.

Hi crin ..... Was offline for a while.

I just read some of the other posts, and your last one. I actually created another place for sims to live in while at university, but again (stupidly) I can't place said lot from my homeworld. And this time I AM using one of EAs worlds ------> Riverview. What if I were to use one of the suggested methods (being, that if i CREATE the lot IN uni, and then save it (maybe as a regular lot, you know - residential) ...... would my sim be able to MOVE THERE while they're still at uni??? See, my original lot was one that I had wanted MY sim to move to cos her dorm mates stunk up the place. (gasp!! ikr??) That's why I had created my original lot in the first place. (and now, which is why i have to delete it from my studio -------> cos NO ONE will be able to place it anywhere ..... i've already tried that)

Message 18 of 23 (26,468 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I can already say that I know one mistake that you are making but let me take you step by step through the steps I took to get my Sim to stay at a dorm I had placed.  

Load up the save where you wish to add the dorm.

Go into Edit Town.

Choose the Sims University button in the top left. 

Sit through load screen drumming fingers impatiently. :robotlol:

Choose empty residential lot and change the designation to "Community > No Visitors Allowed"

Choose dormitory lot that I wish placed.

Place Dormitory and double check that it correctly reads dormitory.

Return to game and impatiently wait for load screen.... again.

Enroll into University with appropriately aged Sim.

Travel to University via loading screen.

Choose the lot that I placed.

Choose my bed and meet the newly randomized townies that are joining me as roommates. 

Enjoy two weeks of Uni and go home.

Because you're choosing to place a dormitory - you have to remember there will always be roommates.   This is how you place a dormitory.  If you want to place a lot that costs rent and is not a dormitory - let us know.

Message 19 of 23 (26,448 Views)

★ Apprentice

@ricalynn wrote:

I can already say that I know one mistake that you are making but let me take you step by step through the steps I took to get my Sim to stay at a dorm I had placed.  

Load up the save where you wish to add the dorm.

Go into Edit Town.

Choose the Sims University button in the top left. 

Sit through load screen drumming fingers impatiently. :robotlol:

Choose empty residential lot and change the designation to "Community > No Visitors Allowed"

Choose dormitory lot that I wish placed.

Place Dormitory and double check that it correctly reads dormitory.

Return to game and impatiently wait for load screen.... again.

Enroll into University with appropriately aged Sim.

Travel to University via loading screen.

Choose the lot that I placed.

Choose my bed and meet the newly randomized townies that are joining me as roommates. 

Enjoy two weeks of Uni and go home.

Because you're choosing to place a dormitory - you have to remember there will always be roommates.   This is how you place a dormitory.  If you want to place a lot that costs rent and is not a dormitory - let us know.

Hi! I read through your suggestion and saw that I *could have* done this. I, unfortunately, already deleted both of newly created "houses" from my studio.  (yeah, i know .... i should have waited)

Any way ..... the part where you say to change the lot to a community - no visitors allowed ......

If you place the house/dorm/sorority (whatever you had created) onto the lot you *just changed*, won't all of the kitchen stuff (stove, in particular) disappear?? Sure, I suppose you can always buy them a new one, but if you place your house onto that lot ..... won't it still BE a community lot?? (i'm a little confused here)

I mean, when you're in edit town and you click on an empty lot to change it, yeah - the dormitory "name" (not the actual building) does show up under community. That's what I didn't understand. If you *change* the lot to a community, you can't place stoves inside.

Oh well, I am going to copy and paste your suggestion down and go back into uni - edit town and try it. Oh! One more question: I know you say you got this to work. Say that your sim has graduated, went back home and has now started a family. But now your sim wants to go back for another degree. Is your house STILL THERE each time you go *back* to uni??

Message 20 of 23 (26,439 Views)