Re: Can't install sims 3 pets....says sims 3 version incompatible

by caspinwall

Original Post

Can't install sims 3 pets....says sims 3 version incompatible

★★★ Newbie

I recently purchased a download of the sims 3 pets from amazon. When I go to install it, it reaches game validation & says "the sims 3 version installed is incompatiable with the sims 3 pets." I reinstalled my sims 3 game from the disk, installed all the updates, and tried to reinstall the sims 3 pets. Same validation problem. Any help? Am I doing something wrong? I have no clue why they wouldn't be compatible as both are purchased, legit versions of the game. I'm also running Mac OS X 10.7.5

thanks a lot

Message 1 of 6 (1,767 Views)

Hero

I'm unsure if this applies to mac: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-3-Into-the-Future/IMPORTANT-DLC-Compatibility-Alert/m-p/1694095 but it might help.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 6 (1,757 Views)

Champion (Retired)

Sounds odd. Sometimes when you install an expansion you get a message saying that there might be a compatibility issue because the base game is more updated than expected. However this is safe to ignore and the installation is usually fine. Your error sounds different if it is questioning the authenticity of your game. It sounds as though you've already tried some form of uninstalling - did you do a clean uninstall? If not, try it, as it does sometimes resolve installation issues. There is a guide here: http://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-3-on-a-mac/how-to-do-a-clean-uninstall-and-reinstall-on-a-mac/

Then try installing from scratch. First the base game, patch that up to date (1.63), then install the expansion packs in order of release date. You could register all the codes and do the whole lot from Origin, or use a combination of discs and Origin if you prefer. I will paste some Origin info below.

The first thing to check is that your Mac is sufficiently up-to-date to be able to run the Origin client. It requires at least OS X 10.6.8 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor or better.

To download and install games through Origin:

First install the Origin client for Mac and make sure it is up-to-date. The latest version can be downloaded from here: http://www.dm.origin.com/mac/download

Additional advice on how to download games (thank you Tremayne for this tip):
When downloading from Origin, do NOT use the first install icon. Move your cursor over the game cover and click on the information (letter i) and then click on the install button from there.

For some reason, downloads from Origin frequently become corrupted. Using the i reduces the chance of your download being corrupted. If you have already been unfortunate and have a corrupted download, then it is important to remove all traces of this before trying again, by doing a thorough, clean uninstallation first.

Are you running anti-virus software or any clean-up applications? If so, disable these, as they might be deleting files that Origin needs!

Good luck!

Caspin

Message 3 of 6 (1,749 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Ignore the newer message.

solved it! Go to origin. Select preferences. Press button look through game installation programs. Remove all pets directories here. Also go up some directory levels and search for pets directories and delete them. Try to install pets again gives error and tell you to download it again. install it and wait where it normally freezes. I waited 5 minutes and the installation was complete. Ignore the never sims3 warning.

I also select use origin beta versions, but I dont believe it affects the result.

Message 4 of 6 (1,629 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Please help me!! I'm selecting preferences but there is no " look through game installation programs button". I'm so confused. And mine is stuck in 37 out of 104 just like yours!!! Please please help me Standard smile

@caspinwall  please and thank you in advance

Message 5 of 6 (1,598 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@13Liyana1995 wrote:

Please help me!! I'm selecting preferences but there is no " look through game installation programs button". I'm so confused. And mine is stuck in 37 out of 104 just like yours!!! Please please help me Standard smile

What are you trying to install - the base game or an expansion pack? Sometimes the download or installation fails. This can be for a variety of factors, including your internet connection dropping out during the download. Sometimes this can result in an awkward situation in which Origin acts as though the game is installed correctly. This means you can’t play the game, but nor will Origin let you re-download it. You cannot easily “uninstall” the game, because of course it isn’t there.

There are two things you can try.

1.Go into Applications on your Mac's hard drive and look in the folder called “The Sims 3”. This is the location from which your game actually launches (as opposed to a similarly named folder within Documents, which is where your saves and other data are stored). In the folder in Applications you will see the shortcut icons for the base game as well as any expansions or stuff packs installed. If you can see the icon for the game that has failed to properly download from Origin, try right clicking on it and this should give you the option to show the original file. You can move the original files to the trash from there. This may allow you to commence a re-download from Origin. (Many thanks go to Tremayne from TS3 Mac forum for this suggestion.)

2. Look in Preferences in the Origin client and find the game installers. Delete the files relating to TS3. Log out of the client, then back in, then you may be able to start redownloading.

If this does not work, or if the icon is missing from the “The Sims 3” folder in Applications, then you may need to completely uninstall and reinstall.

If your installation is stuck on file xxx out of xxx, you may also wish to read this EA help page: https://help.ea.com/article/sims-3-on-mac-installation-stuck-at-32-or-34-files-troubleshooting

Message 6 of 6 (1,583 Views)