Can I transfer Sims 3 and all expansions to a new computer without Origin?

by Shakulaku

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Can I transfer Sims 3 and all expansions to a new computer without Origin?

★★★ Newbie

I have two computers: my laptop and my desktop. I have the Sims 3 base game on both, however all of my expansions have been bought through Origin on my laptop. My desktop cannot connect to the internet due to an issue with its network adapter, so I don't have Origin downloaded onto it. My laptop is seven years old and starting to get incredibly hot whenever I run Chrome, so it's near impossible for me to play Sims 3 without fear of it burning up. I'm wondering if there's a way I can transfer all of my expansions to my desktop without needing Origin, like a way to get the installation files independently. 

Message 1 of 4 (4,080 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Can I transfer Sims 3 and all expansions to a new computer without Origin?

EA app Team

Hi @Shakulaku,

You could actually move The Sims 3 files to the new computer, but you need Origin and an internet connection to finish the installation and activation of the game in the new computer. So even if you moved the game files, you would need an internet connection to make it work.

Sorry I have no better news for you Frown

Good luck,

Mai

View in thread

Message 4 of 4 (4,120 Views)

All Replies

Hero (Retired)

@Shakulaku  The game HAS to be installed. If your computer has Windows 10 you have to have Origin. If your laptop is getting incredibly hot with Chrome then I would suspect the cooling fan may have failed or is clogged.  To diagnose this a technician should be able to evaluate this in short order. To clean a laptop it usually needs disassembly for cleaning and/or replacement of the cooling fan. If the laptop is a student/business laptop repairs may exceed the worth of a 7 year old laptop. To answer your question you can not just copy these game files to install as there are things the installer does that won't be done by just copying files and the game probably won't run correctly.  You don't say what connectivity for the desktop you have. What is the issue what the network adapter. USB wifi adapters are cheap.

Message 2 of 4 (4,051 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I know it has to be installed. I was wondering if there's a way to get all the installation files in an independent form. I didn't plan on just transferring whatever is on my computer. My desktop is actually Windows Vista, and super old as well (about 10 years old). The adapter it has listed is "Teredo Tunneling Psuedo-Interface". I've tried updating it myself and hired a pro to try, and nothing worked. It says the adapter is working, but it still won't connect to the internet. We have it hooked directly to the modem, too. The pro said it's a lost cause so it's now the "game" computer until we can get a new one. As for my laptop, any repairs will definitely be way more than the actual worth of it which is why I haven't looked into getting it fixed. 

Message 3 of 4 (4,043 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @Shakulaku,

You could actually move The Sims 3 files to the new computer, but you need Origin and an internet connection to finish the installation and activation of the game in the new computer. So even if you moved the game files, you would need an internet connection to make it work.

Sorry I have no better news for you Frown

Good luck,

Mai

Message 4 of 4 (4,121 Views)