CANNOT get Sims 3 to run

by Mycroftopia

Original Post

Accepted Solution

CANNOT get Sims 3 to run

★ Novice

Hi All

I have had  SERIES of issues that basically have made Sims 3 impossible for me to run for the last 3 or so months.

I purchased the Sims 3 and several expansions through Origin, and everything has been working fine until randomly 3 or so months ago the game stopped loading up. Without fail, after clicking the 'play' button in the launcher I got a black screen for a few moments, which then brought me back to my usual windows screen. The game would be minimized, and the only way to close it was through my task manager.

I tried basically everything suggested. I deleted several cache files, I did a factory reset, I have tried running the game as an administrator, I've tried running without my expansions, and I've uninstalled and re-installed BOTH Origin and the Sims 3 - all without success. I literally don't know what else to try.

If it helps, the version of Sims 3 I'm running is 1.69.36.024017. Currently I have Windows 10 installed, but I was running Windows 7 when the problem first started, so I dont think its an OS issue. My computer is also set up to be a gaming system, so I dont think it is a hardware issue, but I may be wrong.

Today In frustration I deleted and uninstalled all Sims 3 and expansion files that I could find on my computer, and I went through the EA recommended steps for running CCleaner. I then re-downloaded the Sims 3 through Origin, HOWEVER now I cant even get the launcher to pop up! I just get the launcher to briefly appear with a message that says 'there was an error during start up. Please see The Log for more details". Ok, WHAT LOG!!?? Where do I find said log??

I'm beyond frustrated at this point. PLEASE if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

Message 1 of 3 (226 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: CANNOT get Sims 3 to run

Hero

That log error usually pops up if something is still in your registry that shouldn't.

Try manually searching the registry for anything sims 3 again. It might be an expansion pack that left something

Also go on the extras tab on ccleaner and check if you find Sims 3 on that list somewhere and if so, try uninstall from there as well.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

View in thread

Message 2 of 3 (222 Views)

All Replies

Hero

That log error usually pops up if something is still in your registry that shouldn't.

Try manually searching the registry for anything sims 3 again. It might be an expansion pack that left something

Also go on the extras tab on ccleaner and check if you find Sims 3 on that list somewhere and if so, try uninstall from there as well.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 3 (223 Views)

★ Novice

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

As an update, it turns out that while I deleted the programs for my expansions in the origin games folder, a few of them still appeared when I went through the control panel to manually uninstalling the sims 3.

After manually uninstalling the expansions I was able to get to the launcher ok.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 3 (186 Views)