[The Sims 2] SIMS 2 compaitability with windows 8

by clare83

Original Post

Re: SIMS 2 compatibility with windows 8

★ Apprentice

My little sister didn't get this game working on her laptop and asked my help. Her problem was is that the game would crash when trying to create a new family. I think it would have crashed too if she started playing (with a premade family) but she never tried anything else so I can't verify that. Now for those here with a similar problem the folowing solution might just work for you.

What's important here is that it's a laptop. A lot of laptops and some PC's use dual graphics, intergrated and high-performance. If the high-performance doesn't get activated it's very likely that your game will crash. In other words, make sure the game is running with the high performance activated.

Here's a guide:
http://modthesims.info/t/481768

Message 121 of 166 (1,948 Views)

Re: [The Sims 2] SIMS 2 compaitability with windows 8

★★★ Newbie

hey did you ever get a solution for your sims2 problem? i am having the same issue (crashing when going into create a family). any help would be awesome!! thanks!

Message 122 of 166 (1,794 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I can't do anything in build mode and can't save the game :3
Crash when entering the town,then i do "alt+tab" and entering the sims again,it works . Only have build mode and saving game problems :o
Message 123 of 166 (1,740 Views)

★ Novice

i don't have that tab?? I'm using the ultimate collection pack they gave out

Message 124 of 166 (1,708 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just downloaded the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection onto my Windows 8 Laptop and everythings runs smoothly, until I reach CAS, then it crashes every time. The farthest I've gotten in CAS is making a Sims head shape, then it started glitching out!

Is there a fix?? >.<

Message 125 of 166 (1,619 Views)

★ Novice

For some reason I don't have a compatability tab help me???

Message 126 of 166 (1,530 Views)

★ Novice

I do not have the Compatibility Tab either... I have it on other icons... just not there for Sims 2... why not?

I'm running Windows 8.1 and also the copy of the Sims2 is the recently downloaded one from EA's free Sim2 giveaway... if that matters..

Is there a way to force the compatibility tab to come up?  I (think) I was able to force it into Windows XP SP 3 recovery by using the "Troubleshoot Compatibility" option when right clicking on the icon... but I have no way to confirm that the changes I make are remaining or do I have to do that every time?  Would much rather do it manully through the compatibility tab...

For me, the game doesn't crash... but it takes forever for all loading screens, and just seems to run somewhat sluggishly...

I've red in another forum that Sims 2 runs slow on newer computers because it's older and doesn't run right on multi-procesor machines that most of us have nowadays... they said to bring up task manager while Sims2 is running, go to task manager, details tab, right click on the Sims2 process, choose "set affinity", and uncheck all the tick boxes except for "cpu 0"...

The affinity thing seemed to speed up loading times slightly... but still ridiculously long... maybe it's just "supposed" to be that way when you have so many expansions (due to having the Ultimate edition from the giveaway)... Is there a way to uninstall expansions one at a time just so I can experiment with the base game alone?

Message 127 of 166 (1,416 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice
I did the compatiability to windows 7 and the pack 3 but it keeps I was really disappointed about this I was really happy I got it but then it crashed and crashed Frown please EA do a patch :[ I have the compatiability tab on others like sims 3 seasons
Message 128 of 166 (1,325 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Tried this. Doesn't work... 

Message 129 of 166 (1,283 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i cat fnd wht u saying in proprties :'( please help ?

Message 130 of 166 (1,211 Views)