The Sims 2 Flickering/Flashing on Windows 8

by INEEDYOURHALP

Original Post

The Sims 2 Flickering/Flashing on Windows 8

★★ Novice

I recently got a new laptop with Windows 8 pre-loaded. I've been dying to play The Sims 2 ever since my Vista died a year ago. So I installed The Sims 2 Double Deluxe and not surprisingly the launcher kept crashing 3 seconds after opening it. The only way to get around that was to quickly click the "PLAY GAME" button. It launched, but whenever I went into a neighborhood there was a black screen with the sounds in the background.

I installed The Sims 2 Seasons Expansion Pack to get around the Launcher since TS2S does not have a Launcher like Double Deluxe. It installs successfully and it launched successfully...with a slight problem. Whenever I rotate the screen (using the mouse wheel and/or the rotate button) certain objects flash on screen (e.g.. Houses, water, bits of terrain).

I'm guessing this problem is related to my resolution/graphics card settings so I'll leave the information below.

Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600  (came with the laptop)

Thanks.

Message 1 of 8 (36,491 Views)

Re: The Sims 2 Flickering/Flashing on Windows 8

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

I'll have to check the graphics card for you but what happens if you run the game in Windows XP (service pack 3) compatibility mode? That's often the solution for running old games.

Look here as well: http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-2/The-Sims-2-SIMS-2-compaitability-with-windows-8/m-p/337824#M177

Regarding your graphics card. I found this where Roberta591 said that the Intel (R) HD Graphics 460 is equal to the Geforce 620/630 and according to this, it's not the best but should work for the bare minimum: http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:System_Requirements/MTS2_Recommendations 

Message 2 of 8 (36,426 Views)

★★ Novice

So, should I update the graphics card driver or get a new one :/ ?

Message 3 of 8 (36,413 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Well, did you try running it in Windows XP compatibility mode as mentioned above? And yes, update the drivers for definite.

Just want to say that if I don't happen to get back to you (I'm really in the Sims 3 forum most of the time), please, please and please drop me a PM. I'd love to get this to work for you.

Message 4 of 8 (36,407 Views)

★★★ Novice

If your game is flashing/flickering when you rotate the mouse or try to place things down. Go to game options(?) or grahics options and slide the Smoother Edges down to More. I have no idea why that helped the flickering problem but It did for me.

Sims 2 works fine on my windows 8.1 laptop, I have a Intel HD 4000 graphics card and all the everything installed except for three stuff packs. I can play everything on high, expect for shadows which should be played on medium or lower to avoid  the black box issue.

I hope this works for you, and other people who come looking.

Message 5 of 8 (36,087 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Might be to late but i dont have the option on going onto edge smoothing its unclickable do you knw why? or how to fix that. having this horrible glitch also trying to desperatly find the answer Frown

Message 6 of 8 (30,017 Views)

★ Novice

I have windows 8 and when i right clicked on properties i couldn't find a compatibility tab. But if you right click on it you can find a troubleshoot compatibility button and it will basically fix the problem for you. It automatically changed the game to windows vista mode for my game and it is running smoothly now.

Message 7 of 8 (28,365 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
I just tried it and it oddly worked as well I'm suprised
Message 8 of 8 (15,682 Views)