Missing a folder in my EA Games folder

by MsPrissySim

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Missing a folder in my EA Games folder

★ Apprentice

Hi. I have the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, but inside my EA Games folder is just the sub folder - The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. At one time, I did have the sub folder The Sims 2.

Recently, I was having all kinds of problems with my copy. Graphics issues, mostly. The graphics issue I can take care of.

But, I was wondering if there is a way to get back the sub folder The Sims 2. And if there is.... HOW??

Message 1 of 12 (2,024 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Missing a folder in my EA Games folder

★ Apprentice

HI!!!!  I have some AWESOME news to tell you!!

I had to call EA -- and have them call me back -- and explained my situation to the guy who had answered. He (literally) gave me a NEW CODE for my Sims 2 UC. After testing and retesting the compatibility, I thought the game was truly done for.

In short.... THE GAME IS FIXED!! It was mostly my graphics card; I had to get the latest upgrade.

THANK YOU FOR *EVERYTHING*!!  :eahigh_file: Large smile

View in thread

Message 11 of 12 (1,978 Views)

All Replies

EA app Team

Hi @MsPrissySim,

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection only creates The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection subfolder inside Documents \ EA Games folder. If you had a The Sims 2 folder before, it might be because you installed another The Sims 2 game in that computer in the past. Wink

However, The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection doesn't use The Sims 2 folder and not having that folder can't affect the game's performance.

Can you remember doing any other changes to the computer before the issues started?

-Mai

Message 2 of 12 (2,015 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi. Nothing out of the ordinary. Usual updates, optimizing files... things like that. But since my copy of The Sims 2 is the Ultimate Collection, let me ask you this.

HOW would I be able to do a (backward) compatibility on it? My copy was the free version; the one EA gave to us a few years back.

Message 3 of 12 (2,008 Views)

EA app Team

Ok, @MsPrissySim, if you don't own another The Sims 2 game other than The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, then that can't be the reason why you have a The Sims 2 folder. It was not created by the game.

Do you have any idea what that The Sims 2 folder contained?

You could use Windows' compatibility mode to try to get rid of those graphics issues. To do so, you would need to right click on The Sims 2 shortcut in your desktop, select Properties and check the option to Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP in the Compatibility tab.

Let us know if that helps Standard smile

-Mai

Message 4 of 12 (2,000 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Sorry ... no. I don't think I ever opened that folder.   ((wishing now i had))

Since my copy of the UC is through Origin, HOW will I be able to use Windows' compatibility??  I believe that when EA gave us the free copy, it was added to our Origin clients. Sorry. I forgot to mention that that's the version I have. Not a traditional desktop one.

ALSO.... I have a SEVERE pixel problem!   ((sorry. it's the only way i know how to describe it))   After the game loads, and you choose whichever town you want to play in -- and mind you, it doesn't matter which town I choose -- ALL I SEE are pixels everywhere.  I realize that is a problem caused (maybe) by my graphics/video card.  But.... could it be caused by the game itself?

Message 5 of 12 (1,993 Views)

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Hi @MsPrissySim,

If you don't have a shortcut, it's not a problem we just need to do this differently Wink

1. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Fun with Pets\SP9\TSBin
  2. Right click on Sims2EP9.exe and select: Send to > Desktop.

Now you have a shortcut, try to follow my instructions from my last post Standard smile

Regarding the pixels issue: it could be your graphics card, it could be some other thing in your computer not being compatible (the game was developed years ago, and computers change a lot, that's why we are trying compatibility mode), or it could be the game if it is not correctly installed.

To discard the game not being properly installed, you can right click on its cover in Origin and select: 'Repair'.

Try this couple of things: compatibility mode and repairing, and let us know if the issue is still there. You could take a screenshot to show us the issue

-Mai

Message 6 of 12 (1,980 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Ok. Thanks. I'll try them and get back to you.  However.... taking a screenshot of the neighbor will be rather difficult. I see a lot of the pixel problem, there. But, I'll do my best.

Oh! One more thing.... Because I would essentially have to make a "shortcut", I don't think I would see a compatibility tab. Again, I'll see what I can do.

Message 7 of 12 (1,973 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @MsPrissySim,

You could try to use PrintScreen key (it's usually near F12 key in the keyboard). That will take a screenshot, then you can open Paint and paste it there.

Once you have done the shortcut, you can right click on it and select Properties. A new window like this will open:

compat.PNG

Let me know if something is not going as it should Wink

-Mai

Message 8 of 12 (1,959 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi. The screenshot you pasted showing the compatibility tab is not something I see. Having Windows 10, everything is totally different. However, I tried several times running my Sims 2 UC at different compatibilities. even though it still shows the same pixel problem, I have to resign and understand that Windows 10 will no longer play my game the right way.  And until I have the money to get my Vista laptop working again, the game will have to sit dormant in my Origin client.

I'm not going to bother trying to play a game -- which I had come to love -- that won't ever be stable again.

Thank you for all your help, Mai.

Message 9 of 12 (1,950 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @MsPrissySim,

If you tried to repair the game and compatibility mode already, I'm sorry but there's nothing more I can suggest you. Frown I think some new graphics cards cause some issues with the game, and it seems this is your case.

I hope you can play it soon in your other computer! Which is your favorite The Sims 2 expansion pack? Mine is The Sims 2 Seasons because it was the first time you could grow/harvest your own plants in The Sims, which I enjoy doing, and I love Plantsims Standard smile

-Mai

Message 10 of 12 (1,931 Views)