Cannot Connect To Server on Android

by dukelyon

Original Post

Re: Cannot Connect To Server on Android

Community Manager

Hi everyone,

We will update the other big thread about this issue with news as soon as we get them:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Simpsons-Tapped-Out/the-simpsons-tapped-out-quot-cannot-connect-to-serv...

I'll close this thread for now.

Thank you for your patience.

Your friendly neighbourhood forum admin.

spectre.png
Message 641 of 643 (3,224 Views)

trouble with my game

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

In an effort to try to help other people, I've been locked out of Android until recently. Yes, I got back in and past Cannot Connect to Server. I had not been able to access my game on Android from 4/28 to 7/21. My support ticket with EA is still pending.

On 4/28, during the Whacking Day event, I was locked out of Simpsons with the dreaded "Cannot Connect to Server" error. I could play anonymously and my wife could log into her town on my Android device. It was not a connection issue, it was an issue with my account specifically. No number of retries would get past the error.

On my wife's login and my friends' logins my town's name was changed to m05kit, a different player name. When they selected that town, my town appeared with everything as I had left it. I had not prompted a username change from Origin.

The error "Cannot Connect to Server" continued on Android (Multiple Android versions and devices including my wife's phone, my phone, my brother's phone, a tablet). I had periodically uninstalled and reinstalled Tapped Out during each ~weekly update hoping it would magically be fixed or that my open EA support ticket had been followed through or resolved (it was not).

My last attempt to log in on Android was 7/14-15, again resulting in Cannot Connect to Server. I had not uninstalled/reinstalled Tapped Out since the addition of the age verification. Uninstalling and reinstalling would always prompt a login request, but error out after trying to log in. The age verification update did nothing to help.

On 7/21, after previously reading that other people afflicted with the same error and player-name mismatching on Android were still able to play on iOS / iPhones / iPads / iPods, I was finally able to get my hands on an iPhone from a co-worker who had just started playing Tapped Out. He logged out of his town using the game menu and I logged in using my Origin credentials. The phone was connected to mobile network. I was prompted that a level 1 town already existed on this device and asked if I would like to start a new town. It noted I could revisit the other town by logging out. I figured my town was gone in a worst case scenario and hit "Ok" to start a new one. When the game loaded it dropped me into the town I had been unsuccessfully trying to access for months, with everything intact and all characters still on the jobs I had left them on. I clicked on a few buildings and a few characters, then went to the Friend screen where no friends appeared despite having them registered before. After going back into my town and sending characters off on jobs, I logged out of the iPhone.

Back to my Android phone: I did not uninstall/reinstall. As noted above I had done this fairly recently already and failed to log in then. A small patch was downloaded (probably last week's update). This time instead of getting the Cannot Connect to Server screen, the phone locked up for a minute at the doughnut loading icon, then resumed and welcomed me back under my proper username. It still had the login credentials and age verification from a prior login attempt. I was able to get back into my town, at the correct level, with everything the way it was when I had logged in on my coworkers iPhone. My friends and wife all reported that my town name was back to normal and not m05kit, the name it had changed to when I began getting the error. It seems the problem was now fixed.

I had not changed or altered any settings on my Android phone, except one prior attempt in June when I found a setting on my phone under Privacy called Automatic Restore. The descrption notes "When reinstalling an app, restore backed up settings and data", I now have this deselected. Attempts to uninstall/reinstall and re-login still failed at Cannot Connect to Server after changing this setting and resetting my phone, but I am listing it here in case it helps anyone else on top of deleting temporary app caches as recommended in other threads.

Some other misc info, I started getting weird graphical glitches (missing textures) in game and had also once auto-logged in to the game under my username/password only to find I was looking at someone elses town completely. I saw their doughtnuts, when i had none myself, and their in game cash. I immediately logged out of the game without touching anything. I logged back in again using my credentials (it had auto signed it before) and my game was back to normal. Shortly after this incident is when I was locked out (April/Whacking Day)

Message 642 of 643 (3,166 Views)

Where's my level 32 town?!?!?

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Game ID: jerikofeng
Date Issue Started: 22nd July 2013
Device Used: Samsung Galaxy Note
Game Level Before: 32
Game Level After: 1

Logged in in the morning to clear my latest "mission completed" notifications, and when I attempted to do so, the game had started my town back to level 1. Verified that I was logged into my Origin account, still can't get to my town.
Where's my level 32 town?!?!?

I am not getting any error messages - NO "CANNOT CONNECT TO SERVER" or other issues. It just acts like I am starting the game for the first time, when I've been playing it for close to 2 years now.

If I have to restart this game, I will simply be deleting it.

Message 643 of 643 (3,151 Views)